Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linus: GNOME users are idiots

Linus: GNOME users are idiots

http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/desk...er/000390.html

Some might say this is stereotypical Linus behavior.. because frankly it is.

Re:Linus: GNOME users are idiots

Though I am a gnome user and I disagree somewhat on his position, I don't think he is saying that gnome users are idiots. I think he is saying that Gnome developers trat users like idiots, and KDE developers don't.

I just re-read that. I guess this little tidbit could have been phrased better:
    If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will
    use it
    Though overall, I still think he did not meant it as an insult to users, but to the way Gnome is developed.

I have to agree KDE is more usable. But it'▀ slow & bloated and very messy. GNOME is much cleaner so most of the time, I use GNOME.

Kind Mastermind

No, I think that the sentence is being taken out of context. When you put the first sentence with the second sentence it all makes sense.

This "users are idiots, and are confused by functionality" mentality of Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it.
    If you strip the quote info out, the sentence would read "This mentality of Gnome is a disease". In the second sentence, the IF at the beginning of the sentence is a qualifier. He's not saying that Gnome users are idiots, he's saying that you attract the type of users that you are expecting. Expect an idiot, get an idiot.

Wow, that thread got a little bit heated, didn't it? I'm going to have to go to the beginning of that thread and find out what the root cause of the "discussion" was. I don't really think he was being rude, per se, frustrated...yes, indeed. It's hard to be civil when your frustrated. Oh, well. I guess Linus is human after all...(wink).

Cheers

What a thing to argue about. Gnome needs it's printing dialog revamped, it's horrible at the moment, and that discussion happens to be less than productive, Linus isn't exactly helping..

[quote author=Stuart link=board=6;threadid=10835;start=0#msg97111 date=1134503994]
    What a thing to argue about. Gnome needs it's printing dialog revamped, it's horrible at the moment, and that discussion happens to be less than productive, Linus isn't exactly helping..
    [/quote]

I'm quite happy with the cuurent GNOME printing UI, it works nicely and it's a clean design.

In related news, following the realisation that the project is being run by a dictatorial maniac, who countless times insulted developers and users of projects he doesn't like (in this case GNOME but previously he has had very public and uncalled for goes at Minix and HURD). I downloaded Solaris Express Build 28 and I will be testing it as a replacement for Ubuntu. I've frankly had it with Linus, a person so superior in his own intelect that he enforces his insane beliefs on others simply in virtue of his postition in the community.. like the fact that according him, debuggers are crutches for bad programmers. I guess I'm a horrible programmer then, because I for one like the fact that I can debug my code.

He is unqeustionably talented, but this kind of attitude is hurting more than just those who he attacks, it is making the entire community look bad.

To each his own I suppose. I won't be switching from Linux anytime soon, I don't see a reason to switch because of politics, now if I were presented with something that was clearly superior, I'd do it.

I like both Gnome and KDE both have there up's and downs. It's all personal choice.