Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Mail/Web server
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mail/Web server

Mail/Web server

I am currently running a web server from my house over my dsl connection. I have a domain registered and DNS being provided by no-ip.com (I have the no-ip plus package). I am currently running the webserver on a Windows 2000 machine and Apache2. I have been playing around with linux for about a year now and want to get rid of my Windows machines and run Mandrake. I have a machine setup running ClarkConnect 2.2 and would like to use that for the webserver and e-mail. I have the ClarkConnect server setup with web-based e-mail but I cannot send or receive anything.

Current setup:
    Windows 2000 running Apache for the website.
    ClarkConnect 2.2 server with webmail and accounts setup.

Furute setup:
    ClarkConenct server to run the website.
    ClarkConnect server to provide e-mail for me and family as well as possible

So, that is the basic setup that I have and what I would liek to do. Please keep in mind that I am not too experienced with linux. Yes, I have looked through the archives and would love to see a PET on setting up an e-mail server. I do have a few extra machines laying around the house and will be loading Mandrake up on a Dell once I get another hard drive which should be in another few weeks. So what I am asking would be what should I do next? What should I check? Any ideas or tips you can pass my way?

Re:Mail/Web server

For mail software get postfix to replace sendmail:
    www.postfix.org
    and imapd from UW (forgot the link)
    and squirrel mail for web based:
    www.squirrelmail.org
    If you're going to use pop3, I recommend ipop3d, which I believe is included with imapd.

countach44 - Thanks for the reply.

The webbased mail is already running squirrel mail.
    Pop mail is running postfix.
    These are already installed through ClarkConnect. Should I stay with that distro or load up anopther one?

I will have to foward the ports (80 for http and 25 for mail) to that IP (in my router config). My router is a Linksys BEFSR41. What I am not sure about is how to setup the ni-ip to direct mail to my mail server.

Good Guru

[quote author=Heckle link=board=4;threadid=9097;start=0#msg82343 date=1082939101]
    What I am not sure about is how to setup the ni-ip to direct mail to my mail server.
    [/quote]
    That will largly depend on DNS provider to provider but what you need is to set up MX record ( Mail eXchange ). Priority shouldn't matter if you are running only one box without any backup mail server.

I can receive mail from the webmail portion but any mail I try to send out gets returned.

Here is the message that comes back.

This is the Postfix program at host master.thegroup-ct.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
    below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the message returned below.

The Postfix program

<my-email@snet.net>: host yipvmb.prodigy.net[207.115.63.29] said: 553 5.3.0
    DNSBL:To request removal of,[64.252.64.255],send an E-mail to
    removeme@sbc.sbcglobal.net

Does this mean that my ISP (SBC Northeast) is blocking outbound e-mail from my server?

Good Guru

Not only from your server but a range of IPs that are of dynamic set range. To fight the spam problem, many ISPs are starting to block specific IP ranges that are known to them as being dynamically assigned.

So then I am basically out of luck for runnign my own mail server unless I want to purchase a static ip right?

You can use your ISP's SMTP server I think...

[quote author=countach44 link=board=4;threadid=9097;start=0#msg82495 date=1083205643]
    You can use your ISP's SMTP server I think...
    [/quote]

OK. I am going to sound really stupid now but, how would I set that up?

My ISP e-mail address is xxx@snet.net and the domain address is xxx@thegroup-ct.com Or would I configure postfix to send mail to the ISP smtp as a relay?

Door number two, ask your ISP for the SMTP server's address.