Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samba, SMBFS, and NTFS

Samba, SMBFS, and NTFS

I have read that it is safe to write to a Windows share on a NTFS filesystem (and on a another machine) mounted using Samba with smbfs as the filesystem (i.e. mount -t smbfs -o <options> //computer/share /mount/point) because Samba sends the data over to the Windows machine, which then writes that data to the disk. However, I want to confirm this because I have come across posts and etc. that says it is still not safe (but I doubt this because the Linux kernel, I believe, does not directly write to the Windows share on the other machine and instead has Samba act as sort of layer). Thanks.

Re:Samba, SMBFS, and NTFS

It is safe. Windows is the one writing to the file system.
    I have a Windows 2000 box acting as a server, and I can write to it fine from within windows

[quote author=trickster link=board=12;threadid=8967;start=0#msg80946 date=1081041410]
    It is safe. Windows is the one writing to the file system.
    I have a Windows 2000 box acting as a server, and I can write to it fine from within windows

[/quote]

Ok, thanks for the info!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all it does is use the SMB protocol to do stuff, hence the filesystem independence?

I think so.

Good Guru

[quote author=countach44 link=board=12;threadid=8967;start=0#msg80965 date=1081050410]
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but all it does is use the SMB protocol to do stuff, hence the filesystem independence?
    [/quote]

Yes.

Good Guru

NTFS write is consindered expermental only if you are writing NTFS partition mounted with Linux kernel directly, IIRC.

If you are writing over the remote host, Linux SMB talks to Windows SMB, then Windows native FS writes to it.

I've had no problems with reading NTFS, I've helped two people rescue files off their NTFS partitions (using live distros). Anyone else ever had the pleasure of teaching someone how to use linux over the phone?

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=12;threadid=8967;start=0#msg81019 date=1081106442]
    If you are writing over the remote host, Linux SMB talks to Windows SMB, then Windows native FS writes to it.
    [/quote]

Thanks for the info!

hello all, i needed to continue this thread because you all sound like you can help.

i have two RedHat AS 2.1 servers both running Oracle DB, one production, other test

i have a application that when it is done writes a file locate to the Linux box

right now i have a CRON job that runs three days a week every 20 minutes looking for a string unique to the file created by the app in the dir the app puts it in

the CRON job FTP's the files it finds off to a win2k server into a dir shared to the network.

this is a way bad bandaid!

i am having my developers work on an edit to this app, that will put the file right where i need it on the windows file share.

and this is where i have a question:

it was to do with mounting a NTFS disk share on a win2k server, member of a AD domain

i can mount the share like so:

[root@rtlnxdev01 root]# smbmount //rtfpcl01/rtcommon /mnt/rtfpcl01/rtcommon rw -o username="<domain>\<domadmin>&quo t;
    Password:<domadminpass>

and if the cd over to the /mnt/rtfpcl01/rtcommon/kyle dir:

[root@rtlnxdev01 root]# cd /mnt/rtfpcl01/rtcommon/kyle/
    [root@rtlnxdev01 kyle]# pwd
    /mnt/rtfpcl01/rtcommon/kyle

i can make a file in this dir:

[root@rtlnxdev01 kyle]# touch testfile.txt

but if i su to a non-root user:

[root@rtlnxdev01 kyle]# su oracle
    [oracle@rtlnxdev01 kyle]$ pwd
    /mnt/rtfpcl01/rtcommon/kyle

and try to make a file: