Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special kind of Routing module?

Special kind of Routing module?

I have a mid/low end system (P3-700 Mhz + 500MB RAM) with linux installed (FC3 but can switch to others if needed).

I need to build a router from it, but not a dedicated router (like smoothwall etc.). I want to preserve the linux functionality as a workstation (install small software like TinyFugue, Mutt, a web-server etc.).

I used google allot and managed to use my FC3 system as a DHCPd server, but I need a decent firewall as well to make the network behind it "safe". I found some information about IP-tables but I am still too much of a niewbie to manage all that (was REALLY happy when I got DHCPd to work).

Anyway in short:
    I need a module that has the functionality of smoothwall etc. (user-webinterface etc.) but still preserve normal linux usage as a workstation. Is there any? and if not is someone willing to support me (intensely) while I learn to use IP-tables or other software needed to get to my end goal?

I hope some of you guru's are willing to help me, since I would really like to learn more about linux system-administration (read some beginners boocs of academic service, but I need some more practical experience). Thx!

Advisor

Re:Special kind of Routing module?

How about the Simple PET here. If thats not enough, feel free to ask, and we're several here at linuxjunior who are willing to provide you with any information needed.
    If you want to learn more, read the tutorials over at iptables.org

So in short, you need a firewall, correct?

Try Firestarter. Might be installable via yum in FC3, not sure. Firestarter's a neat little firewall, configurable via gui.

Good Guru

Well, there is no such thing as "dedicated" unless you made it to.

You can install firewall packages to act your computer as firewall/NAT at the mean time have Apache (webserver) running as well as mail server/client.

For example, I have a gateway box acting as firewall (shorewall), webserver (apache), FTPSerever (proftpd), NATed gateway for my LAN clients (shorewall) and mail box (sylpheed and mutt).

If you need specific for firewall need, just post here with what you want to do and we can help you write a script so that you can put it in there.

Again wow (I said it on another post as well) I am very charmed by the enthusiastic replies!

Meanwhile I found this "firehol" site:
    http://firehol.sourceforge.net/
    (a front end which translates "Human language" into IP-table scripts) so that might help as well.

I had another problem mounting my SCSI HD that took some time fixxing (but got through it with the help in another thread) so that hogged up most of my spare this week.
    But all your answers will surely help me in this weekend when I am going to pick this up again! I will take a look at all your remarks and keep you posted on how it went!

@Compunuts
    Quoting Compunuts:
    "Well, there is no such thing as "dedicated" unless you made it to."

*nods* I have a smoothwall installation on an old computer serving as a router/firewall. But it is a "dedicated" install. I am trying to configure this computer kind of like you did.

Good Guru

[quote author=woosting link=board=4;threadid=10428;start=0#msg94046 date=1115841928]
    @Compunuts
    Quoting Compunuts:
    [/quote]
    You can use UBB Tags to quote:

Code:
    your quote

Not tried anything but I gave the documentation a look. Here are my thoughts:

[quote author=redhead link=board=4;threadid=10428;start=0#msg93976 date=1115645927]
    How about the Simple PET here. If thats not enough, feel free to ask, and we're several here at linuxjunior who are willing to provide you with any information needed.
    If you want to learn more, read the tutorials over at iptables.org
    [/quote]

PET seems a good start, but I want complete control (hey dont all linux-freaks want complete control). The IP-tables documentation/tutorials will take me a while to understand though... But I will try them both, just to see what works the best for me personally!

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=4;threadid=10428;start=0#msg93980 date=1115667178]
    So in short, you need a firewall, correct?

Try Firestarter. Might be installable via yum in FC3, not sure. Firestarter's a neat little firewall, configurable via gui.
    [/quote]

This looks real nice 'n easy and exactly what I need (even internet sharing)... will try that one too!! I hope it is configurable through an SSH TTY (so text only) though, since I will probably be administrating the machine trough a txt-console (in the end I want to use the most-basic stuff like IP-tables / DHCPd though).

I also found a firewall (IP tables i think) front end. For txt-consoles which looks decent, I thought I'd share it with you guys:
    http://vuurmuur.sourceforge.net/
    Thix can be nice too (in combo with DHCPd).

Anyway as soon as I have tried some of them I'll post my findings (might take a while since I am also really bussy with my thesis-research a.t.m.).

Thx!

Advisor

[quote author=woosting link=board=4;threadid=10428;start=0#msg94059 date=1115888079]PET seems a good start, but I want complete control (hey dont all linux-freaks want complete control). The IP-tables documentation/tutorials will take me a while to understand though... But I will try them both, just to see what works the best for me personally!
    [/quote]
    The Setup a gateway for home or office should be enough info, for now to make a deacent setup with a great amount of control.

Else, feel free to ask, as i stated, alot of us here work with some form of iptables setups, that beeing professionel solutions aswell as your typical home-network solution.

A word of caution;

You have to be extremely careful when configuring a firewall by ssh. If you somehow block the ssh port, your SOL; no more remote connections and the machine is left on an unknown state.

Good Guru

Have you tried FireStarter?