Thread: Word Processors

Word Processors

I just don't seem to get along with word processors. I tend to find them to be cumbersome and unwieldy. I was really thinking Abiword would change my mind because it is much better than most, but the printed output from it leaves a bit to be desired when compared to the quality of output from Groff or TeX. <sighs> I guess I must just be a text editor and markup guy- not that there is anything wrong with that.

Re:Word Processors

I never did get to know LaTeX very well. It's pretty much a mystery to me. However, I think if I ever took the time to sit down and learn it, I'd feel the same way as you. I like a nice pretty graphical environment to work in, but when it comes to getting work done I love the old Unix tools. I'll use Vim and Vim only to code, regardless of how good Eclipse is (and it is a fantastic product). I can't stand a cumbersome GUI that gets in my way.

Maybe I'll sit down and crap out a report or two in LaTeX this upcoming school term. Finally bite the bullet.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=2;threadid=10394;start=0#msg93630 date=1114398334]
    I never did get to know LaTeX very well. It's pretty much a mystery to me. However, I think if I ever took the time to sit down and learn it, I'd feel the same way as you. I like a nice pretty graphical environment to work in, but when it comes to getting work done I love the old Unix tools. I'll use Vim and Vim only to code, regardless of how good Eclipse is (and it is a fantastic product). I can't stand a cumbersome GUI that gets in my way.

Maybe I'll sit down and crap out a report or two in LaTeX this upcoming school term. Finally bite the bullet.
    [/quote]

You might want to look at Groff. It is amazingly simple to work with and uses simple, two letter tags. I prefer it to LaTeX for a few reasons, one being that it can output formatted plain text. Take at look at the “Groff and Friends How-to” to get started. Also, you can download for free a copy of the classic “Unix Text Processing” book. You can learn all you need to write reports using Groff in a matter of minutes.

Excellent. I"ll check it out. Thanks a lot!

Hey Tyr_7BE, did you ever get around to trying Groff?