Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

file transfer in linux

Thread: file transfer in linux

Hybrid View

file transfer in linux

i have been looking for a file transfer software in linux that allows transfer of big files across lan..someone help me find one..please..

Re:file transfer in linux

scp is your friend.
    Make sure you have ssh installed.

http://www.csit.fsu.edu/supercomputer/scp.html

Advisor

scp might be of use, but for large files it is way too slow than normal ftp/http transfer.

Good Guru

OpenAFS ?

Good Guru

[quote author=redhead link=board=2;threadid=10387;start=0#msg93576 date=1114207091]
    scp might be of use, but for large files it is way too slow than normal ftp/http transfer.
    [/quote]
    I absolutely agree. As much as I like the idea of running only secure services, it is not very useful/realistic for large file transfer. FTP is still the way to go, if not, NFS or Samba.

I had the same problem so I started working on a file transfer application called ezail.
    I'm looking for feedback and comments; please download it at http://www.ezail.com

it's free and it needs java installed. I've tested it on linux and windows 2000.

tito

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=tito link=board=2;threadid=10387;start=0#msg93917 date=1115421309]
    I had the same problem so I started working on a file transfer application called ezail.
    I'm looking for feedback and comments; please download it at http://www.ezail.com

it's free and it needs java installed. I've tested it on linux and windows 2000.

tito
    [/quote]

Shameless plug?

Probably. Anyway it looks like scp but without implementing the ssh protocol.

As for large file transfers, don't use Samba. Ever try to transfer > 4 gigs or so with Samba? Strange things start to happen after a while. I've had it stall and I've had it drop connections.

I'd say good old ftp is the best way, regardless of OS. It was designed for this type of thing.

I'm a bit late to the party but I think I can help. KDE has a native program called KPF and it is available via apt/synaptic in rpm and deb I know for sure. I use it with all of my businesses and it beats the snot out of ssh, although it is not as secure. It is a good down-and-dirty file transfer program and you can set the bandwidth, port...not real fancy but it works good. A friend in Austrailia downloaded a pclinuxos dvd from me today in 4 hours.

I have been in contact with the developer to see if he will add upload capabilities to it like www file share pro. anyone interested in working with linux developers or is a linux developer, take a look at lobby4linux.com

helios