Thread: What type of splitter to use?

Good Guru

What type of splitter to use?

My Internet connection had been crappy the last few months and my suspection had fallen on splitter (where you split signals between my Cable Internet and TV) since if I connect direction to incoming connection from my ISP outside of my home. The only real weak point between from that point on to my cable modem is that splitter.

Currently I have three way splitter with 7db. It had 3.5db one before but it seems not be able to handle Internet connections. So I replaced it with 7db one but still intermitted problems exists. So I replaced again with what I have; the 5 MHz to 1000MHz capable splitter. It still is giving me crap like not being able to connect two devices at once. If the Net work, the TV won't work. I tried switching ports with same old result. No matter what port, it will only work one device at the same time.

My questions are;

1. cable splitting between devices with Highspeed Internet treated the same as TV signals?

2. If so, what signal range Cable Internet run on?

3. If I need a new splitter, what kind should I buy? I should go for the one with higher db or higher MHz? I saw one capable of doing 1GHz but then again, the one I have is 1000MHz and isn't it already high enough frequency?

4. Any tips?

Thanks.

Good Guru

Re:What type of splitter to use?

To accurately answer most questions, we need to know the provider. For Time Warner, if you get the 1Ghz+ Amps and use a single splitter right off of that, you can home run all the lines and be able to goto 8 jacks. But dont split an already split line.

Good Guru

Well, my provider is comcrap (aka comcast).

There is only one split involve here. From the terminal outside of my house, one cable goes though. Then at the attic area, I've this splitter. There one goes to Cable TV and the other to the terminal in my garage for modem connection. My servers are in my garage where WiFI AP is installed.

Good Guru

Put the amp before the splitter. I would call tech support to verify, but I believe you will need the 1GHz+ Models. THe 900Mhz ones wont do the digital and cable modem right.

Good Guru

Yeah, I just went out and bought the 1GHz splitter. All seems to be well now. Instead of crawling though attic area multiple times, I just spent 5 bucks and crawled once.

Good Guru

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=14;threadid=10371;start=0#msg93534 date=1114063353]
    Yeah, I just went out and bought the 1GHz splitter. All seems to be well now. Instead of crawling though attic area multiple times, I just spent 5 bucks and crawled once.
    [/quote]

Good to hear it worked.