Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

DVD Drive

Thread: DVD Drive

Hybrid View

DVD Drive

The same dvd drive(BenQ) that I mention in another thread that works with Debian, is having a problem with Windows XP Pro.

It seems if I put a store bought dvd movie or a burned cd disc, it will play it, but when I put a blank(sony) dvd disc in the drive, it doesn't seem to recognize it.

When I view the drive in the file manager with a blank disc, it looks as if it's a cd drive, but when no disc is in it, it looks as a dvd drive.

I have a cd r/w drive as the master & the dvd r/w drive is the slave setup.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thnx.

Good Guru

Re:DVD Drive

Have you cleaned the registry and checked the controller/cd drivers for corruption? Check for viral presence too.

No, this is the first time using the drive with XP, and it works fine using Linux.

I may need to check for virus but don't think I have any.

Windows is so weird...

Check the manufacturer's site for newer firmware.

I did and when I got ready to install it, it said something about the software is older then the drive, which I thought was odd...maybe I had the wrong firmware software.

What if I reinstall Nero software?

Thnx.

Good Guru

Well, depending on how they are doing shit these days, Nero may be pulling a maneuver that Adaptec did years agao when they owned EZ-CD-Cdreator Pro. They replaced all of the IDE CDROM drivers with their SCSI-ATAPI ones. That caused alot of grief for those with NERO, CDRWin, and NTI.

So give it a shot, and see. Its been a while since I have really cared to understand how the Win32 platform is being managed these days.

[quote author=Saptech link=board=25;threadid=10356;start=0#msg93261 date=1113085010]
    When I view the drive in the file manager with a blank disc, it looks as if it's a cd drive, but when no disc is in it, it looks as a dvd drive.
    [/quote]The problem may not be with your drive. It's most likely the way WinXP recognizes the discs. In WinXP Pro(and possibly in Home), the DVD icon changes to the CD icon when there is either an unrecognizable disc or unformatted DVD -R/-RW/+R/+RW inserted. I'm not positive on why this happens but I assume it's because of the built in CD-R/RW software. The built in CD-R/RW software only burns CD's and not DVD's. Have you tried to actualy burn a DVD -R/-RW/+R/+RW yet under WinXP Pro? Give it a shot...it'll probably work.

Whiz, I don't have that choice, because with the blank dvd in the drive, I get an error message about "the media is invalid or not recgonized", something like that.

Right now I'm back in Linux, but will try all suggestions mention.

Thnx.