Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Harddrive ghost??!!??

Thread: Harddrive ghost??!!??

Hybrid View

Harddrive ghost??!!??

I just installed FC3 a few days ago on a computer that formerly ran Windows XP. In the install, I had the old OS deleted. I just recently rebooted my computer, and the old harddrive name I used in XP has suddenly become my computers name in FC3 !!!!!!!!! Everything seems to work fine, but upon bootup, I get a message telling me the computer can't find an internet address for this old name, and maybe I should add it the the etc/host file, and gives me the choice to 'try again' or 'login anyways' (this is a paraphrase of the message).
    What the heck is going on and should I be worried? What should I do?
    Thanks.

Re:Harddrive ghost??!!??

hey gp.
    no need to be worried and it should be added to the hosts file (if you like this name) 0 is the DHCP server trying to assingn this name? i belive the command or tool to get this set is system-config-network or netowrk configuration under the system tools menu.

The exact message I get upon trying to login is:
    "Could not look up internet address for JIMMYJOYCE. This will prevent GNOME from operating correctly. It may be possible to correct the problem by adding JIMMYJOYCE to the file /etc/hosts."

First of all, I don't know how to add a name to hosts (I don't wanna mess that file up), second of all, why has this happened all of a sudden when I've already rebooted a number of times without it occuring? This is the first instance of this name popping up on my new OS. Weird.

i must agree - it is weird... the only thing i can think of is that the DHCP setting it because it sees the MAC of your NIC.

It is pretty easy to set the hostname - you should be able to do it with the tools mentioned above.