Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just switched over ...

Good Guru

Just switched over ...

To Linspire Five-O.

Love it. Granted I am a GNOME user, not a KDE guy, but this is a nice improvement. I really love CNR. Makes the best of my time.

Re:Just switched over ...

I've heard REALLY good things about Linspire 5. Apparently it's an end-user's dream come true. Maybe I'll try it someday, but for now I just can't put down Ubuntu.

Strengths? Weaknesses? General review?

Good Guru

Weaknesses, made for a desktop. Not a workstation. And to get the best of it you will want to be spending the dough on CNR. There are torrents out there or pm/email me for a cd. I cannot give a CNR login, but I am allowed to redistribute the install disc (not that much is there, but does include a LiveCD image to boot).

But dead simple.

Okay, I'll take Schotty's place as the resident Fedora wearing whore then.

FC4 rocks so hard it's unbelievable.

Oh Schotty, just out of interest is it at all possible easily to make L-5 run GNOME and stop that run as root silliness, I'm thinking about give Linux to a friend of mine and L-5 looks like something she could manage without having me run to her house all the time.

Good Guru

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=13;threadid=10338;start=0#msg93557 date=1114160005]
    Okay, I'll take Schotty's place as the resident Fedora wearing whore then.
    [/quote]

NEVER !!! But Vice-Whore, that I can do. We can slut around town in our Fedoras (you do own one now, right??)

FC4 rocks so hard it's unbelievable.

Oh Schotty, just out of interest is it at all possible easily to make L-5 run GNOME and stop that run as root silliness, I'm thinking about give Linux to a friend of mine and L-5 looks like something she could manage without having me run to her house all the time.
    Gnome ... Yes
    Run as root ... yup. Never needed to. There is an option during install to add users. So if you want to do things right, as I do, you can add a user or 10. If not, login as root from then on (aka Administrator).

Linspire is the only distro I never had to hack a config file period. It is advisable to modify /etc/apt/sources (or whatever the hell it's called) so the oddball 3rd party program's dep can be filed. But honestly, the only tool that I needed that for was Cedega. Everything else is either in CNR or works by just installing the .deb.

And for the record. I still like RPMS better :P

BTW, if you want some Linspre shit and a few tips for your friend, gimme a hollar.

I'm sorry to report that I haven't found a store that sells the proper red fedora's in town.. and I'm to cheap to order one online

Schotty where's the fedora. I think I like it better than the running guy

Good Guru

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=13;threadid=10338;start=0#msg93566 date=1114177300]
    Schotty where's the fedora. I think I like it better than the running guy
    [/quote]

Its nice, but the running guy is proof right now that I am not screwing around getting a system to work. I didnt realize how much BS I had to go thru to get Fedora even up and going. I mean, off of my guide -- not too much work. But when it is all said and done, its still a good hour or so of dicking off that I could do without. Thats an hour of ...

Installing Neverwinter Nights
    Installing America's Army
    Installing all of my preferences (themes, email, backgrounds)
    Installing Cedega
    Installing Steam and all the crap that comes along with it
    Symlinking /dev/penis to /dev/vagina

Get the drift ;D I will advertise them as long as they keep up with what they are up to.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=10338;start=0#msg93581 date=1114231854]

Symlinking /dev/penis to /dev/vagina

[/quote]

hummmsss - i use a hard link for that

Have you tried phonegaim. FREE! longdistance calling?!