Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Just installed Slackware 10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just installed Slackware 10

Associate

Just installed Slackware 10

Hi,
    Just installed Slackware 10 and can't get my HP 5550 printer to work.
    There doesn't seem to be anyway to configure it. I checked the Slackware
    site and the Slackware manual, but not help. I thought Cups did that, but
    there is no cups on my install.

Also, I copied some documents from a CD and now I can't get the CD
    to eject. Sounds dumb, but it won't. Do I have to unmount it just to
    eject the disk and mount it every time I put a CD in to the CDROM?

The easiest way to get to your CUPS setup wuld be to open a browser, and point it to your own IP, and use the CUPS port:

192.168.1.150:9100

Let us know how that goes,

You can't eject media that is mounted. mounting the disc incorporates the disc's directory structure to your system. Unmounting it makes it safe to remove the media.

Type
    eject /mnt/cdrom

It will unmount and eject the CD for you. If you want to unmount yourself, the command is umount.

Furthermore, you can find the CUPS binaries on slackware.com, in the section called Package Browser: http://www.slackware.com/pb/

Associate
    Thank you. I appreciate the info. I'm learning a little bit every day. I grew up with DOS and felt I knew my way around, but I find Linux much more complicated, but much more powerful.
    While I have you on the line, I have another question. Is there a way to make a Desktop launcher for the Manual pages and the HOWTOs and mini-HOWTOs so that they would be readily available. I know where they are and how to access them. I am just wondering if there is a way to make the process of researching the information a little more streamlined, kind of like what batch files used to do in DOS.
    I tried to make a launcher s on my desktop to mount and umount my CDROM, but they didn't work. I'll just have to keep at it.
    Thanks again for the info and taking the time to answer my dumb questions.
    \"When you go into court you are putting you fate into the hands
    of twelve people who weren\'t smart enough to get out of jury duty.\"
    Norm Crosby 8)

If you want to make a script to mount and umount your CD-Rom, a good place to start is reading the Bash-HOWTOs. They are located in /usr/doc/Linux-HOWTOs/ (if you installed them)

Which window manager are you using? Gnome?

If you're looking for some graphical utility to browse the manpages, you could probably find something at http://www.freshmeat.net/ . It's -the- software repository. And if you don't want to compile yourself, search for a package at www.linuxpackages.net. It's a slackpack repository.

You'll learn a lot of stuff by doing it yourself, and I bet that in just 1-2 weeks, you'll have a firm grip of the basics and more. It's fun.

Associate
    "The easiest way to get to your CUPS setup wuld be open a browser, and point it to your own IP, and use the CUPS port:

192.168.1.150:9100 "

Gruntled,
    I tried as you said, but all I got was an error message that "the connection was refused when attempting to contact 0192.168.0.2" I must have done something wrong. I am trying to read the HOWTOs and other docs, but I can't read too much on screen and with my printer not working I'm not getting anyplace, just frustrated. I have 4 books I am using trying to find out about printer installs, but they don't say much. I have another computer with Fedora Core 2 on it and that distro has a printer configuration setup built in and it was really easy to add a printer and set it up. Slack doesn't seem to have such a tool or at least I haven't found it.

Try going to http://localhost:9100

Of course, when you did your install, did you make sure to select cups as one of the things to start up??

Also, the command:

eject /dev/cdrom

Should unmount (umount) the cd and eject it for you.

But then, I could be a little loopy...

Associate
    yes the eject /dev/cdrom does work.

I don't remember having the option of starting up cups. In fact I don't believe it was with the distro. I did d/l it from Slack and installed it using pkgtool, so I guess it is available and working, but I haven't had any luck so far. You are up a little late or should I say early. Is the sun coming up yet? I have a niece in Atlanta. I digress. I'll try the http://localhost.9100. Do I use it as written or do I replace localhost with what I named this machine?
    \"When you go into court you are putting you fate into the hands
    of twelve people who weren\'t smart enough to get out of jury duty.\"
    Norm Crosby 8)

Associate

Re: Just installed Slackware 10

I just tried the http://localhost:9100 and the "connection was refused" I also tried black:9100 which is the name I gave this machine. Same result