Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
MEPIS 2004 04 is a great distro
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MEPIS 2004 04 is a great distro

MEPIS 2004 04 is a great distro

My signature has references to two GNU/Linux distributions that are really easy to install and powerful. Newbies will especially appreciate MEPIS 2004. The more inquisitive veterans may prefer Libranet 2.8.1. Both are excellent works, standards upon which others can be based.

Claim to fame for MEPIS is a super easy installation: pop in a CD and go.

Claim to fame for Libranet is a really powerful, flexible, yet still reasonably easy to install and use system that can be updated easily as long as you have a decent network.

Advisor
    isn't libranet basically.... just debian?

Re: MEPIS 2004 04 is a great distro

I tried Mepis... It's very good, but I didn't really notice a big difference between it and Knoppix and Kanotix. Mepis and Kanotix are geared more toward a HD install (though Knoppix was bad in that regard; just not really maintained to be used that way), and I settled on Kanotix because of the advantage for a laptop setup. All of them can be used as a 'live' CD/recovery distro though.
    Steve

Libranet IS Debian --- with TERRIFIC admin tools

Quote Originally Posted by maccorin";p="3327
    isn't libranet basically.... just debian?
    Well yes, Libranet IS a Debian GNU/Linux system distribution. What makes it really nice and appealing is that Libranet doesn't break anything Debian, but it adds an excellent administration tool called adminmenu, and it also makes installation much easier than a Woody installation.

Now that Sarge is knocking and the Sarge installer is greatly improved, one reason for going with Libranet rather than raw Debian is lessened - in the past, the Debian installer chewed up LOTS of time because it asked so many questions and it frequently left the user with a lot of stuff to set up following installation. Now the Sarge installer is WAY better, but Libranet is nearing availability of a Version 3.0 product, which will greatly improve the installation and configuration tools again.

Libranet also provides their own repositories that provide safe upgrade tools. Real Debian geeks can either choose to use these tools or go their own way. The net result is that Libranet gives you an easy way to get into Debian, provides you with excellent maintenance and administration tools, but they don't conflict with or prevent you from using other Debian tools. To me, Libranet is as good as it comes for the real Debian software enthusiast - convenience, yet true Debian.

Quote Originally Posted by snct";p="3331
    I tried Mepis... It's very good, but I didn't really notice a big difference between it and Knoppix and Kanotix. Mepis and Kanotix are geared more toward a HD install (though Knoppix was bad in that regard; just not really maintained to be used that way), and I settled on Kanotix because of the advantage for a laptop setup. All of them can be used as a 'live' CD/recovery distro though.
    To me, MEPIS has an eaven easier HD install than Knoppix or Kanotix. You don't have to run a knx-install, knoppix-install, or some other script. Instead, you click on a desktop icon while booted into the Live CD, it asks a few questions, and wisks you off into installing the Simply MEPIS system on your hard drive. One of the easiest installs of any system - of any kind.

The system itself is also well thought out and well tested. It contains applications that work well together. It is easy, yet it works well.

UBUNTU is another good Debian desktop system for those who prefer GNOME over KDE on the desktop. For me, I really like the way that MEPIS fits together.

I put my name down on the list for a free UBUNTU cd, but I still haven't got it yet. It was like over a month ago now, and I am itching for the return of a debian based system on my machine. A little off the topic now, but I have found that adding some more RAM to your system is the cheapest way to get it working a little faster. I was running 256, but I slotted in another 256, and there is a huge difference. I thought it only applied to systems using less then 256, but it turns out that there is never enough ram for your system. Also, does anyone know how to play divX AVI files on Linux? I am not sure where to get the codec, and what uses it. I prefer to use TOTEM, or KAFFEINE.
    My Website: http://ttgale.com
    My Website Uptime: http://img.uptimeprj.com/holastickbo...dee9bae2e2.png
    My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Advisor
    the ram thing applies to any machine that doesn't have enough ram to keep it from using swap

I find having a swap file is more of a bastard under windows then Linux because windows depends on it too much!
    My Website: http://ttgale.com
    My Website Uptime: http://img.uptimeprj.com/holastickbo...dee9bae2e2.png
    My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Whats with all these debian based distros??

Hasn't anyone heard of slackware or slax?

Quote Originally Posted by mcangeli";p="3406
    Whats with all these debian based distros??

Hasn't anyone heard of slackware or slax?
    I'm triple booting WinXP, Kanotix, and VectorSOHO. Though I was thinking of trying swaret :mrgreen: .

It's all in the package management man! We're all spoiled by apt-get and dpkg... It's a good t'ing donchaknow :w00t: :cow: . So... Your mission (Mr. web master), if you choose to acccept it, is to write an article to illustrate your Slackware point of view. And yep... There are the same types of articles all over the internet right now; but you'll need to be specific about how you like the fine-tuneability of Slackware. The other articles just generalize about that aspect of it. Tell us about how well you can un-bloat your system, and have only the essentials on it, without any unecessary packages. Clue us in on on the ease of configuring the BSD init system. Enlighten us, why don't cha?
    Steve