Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux, should I convert?

Kind Mastermind

Re:Linux, should I convert?

[quote author=Schotty link=board=12;threadid=10306;start=0#msg92949 date=1111655023]
    I would reccomend handing this person a Novell Desktop or Linspire install disc. Those are the easiest from a default install for the normal user. Power users may shy away, but all in all, that would be closest to the "Windows User Expectation" that linux can provide.
    [/quote]

I agree with the Linspire recommendation. It is indeed a very easy to install product (even easier than XP).

Cheers

Good Guru

stryder, I think we may be the only two Linspire users here ;D I know you are in the "ex-user" category, but ...

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Schotty link=board=12;threadid=10306;start=0#msg92960 date=1111743352]
    stryder, I think we may be the only two Linspire users here ;D I know you are in the "ex-user" category, but ...

[/quote]

You are indeed probably correct, sir! I enjoyed it when I used it but it used some hacked up KDE 3 (Lindows 1.1 if I remember correctly). So, when I tried updating KDE to the Debian repos, it borked but good. I will say that Linspire is probably the best bet for new users/windows refugees. If they are willing to subscribe to the CNR they will gain a world of great functionality with a convenience that windows could never match.

Cheers

I would deffinatly try it out.

I would suggest Xandros. I started Xandros 3 weeks ago and have totally fallen for it. It's a snap to install (4 clicks), it found all my hardware out of the box (no other distro has done that), it comes with a great assortment of apps already installed, including open office, media players, etc. It's easy to update and install new programs with Xandros Networks. Just click and install (like Linspire). Best of all the Open Circulation editon is free and easily avalible.

I've used windows for 10 years. I'm very good at it. I know my way around under the hood. I have all the apps I want. But I've been questioning switching to linux or not because I don't like where Microsoft is heading. I've been very happy with my conversion to linux and would tell you to do it. Take it slow. Install Linux (xandros, Novel desktop Linux, or Linspire are the best places for us non-technical people to start) and use it for a few daily tasks (surfing, ect.) see how it feels. When your comfortable with basic tasks start using it more and more. When you feel comfortable in linux, try it for an entire day...don't reboot into windows. See what experiances are good and what is missing. If you have a "click and install system" like Xandros or Linspire use their network systems to look for programs that will fill in those missing gaps in your linux experiance. As you fill in those gaps, you will discover you can live without windows most of the time and as issues come up you can do some research into solving them.

NOthing says you have to immediatly abandon windows and jump whole heartedly into Linux. Every user is diffrent. I did it by setting aside 5 gig of HD space on my laptop just for Linux distros. It took me a few distros but I found the one for me. It's like test driving a car, you might need to try a few before you find "the one".

But my all means...don't let anyone discourage you from trying. If you feel unhappy with Microsoft, look for alternitives. Keep looking until you find the one you like or your satisifed that the Linux experiance is not for you.

Either way, from someone who just did it....good luck. It's not as hard as it seems. Linux has come a long way in a short time. Desktop linux is a reality and a great experiance. Just take it at your own pace and you will know if Linux is for you or not.

you should try Ubuntu you might like it

Good Guru

Yes, I will second that.

third it, ubuntu and fedora have been the best linux distros i have tried with "out of the box" features.

Good Guru

My order as of now is :

1)Linspire
    2)Fedora
    3)Ubuntu
    4)OpenBSD (But for special cases such as firewalls and programming workstations I would move it to 1)

I agree with Tyr_7BE, the newer versions of most linux distros are very easy/just as easy as Windows to install.

Live CD, Live CD, Live CD

when I run into a person who ask such a question I hand then a Knoppix or P.H.L.A.K. cd, and tell them to boot it

What more is there to say?

Its a non-destructive test environment ready to explore, that really doesn’t take a whole heck of allot of computer experience to use.