Thread: How safe is Linux in the Internet?

How safe is Linux in the Internet?

We all know that the internet is never safe. In Windows we use a lot of security programs such as firewalls and antiviruses. What firewalls, antiviruses and anti-spywares softwares are available for linux? does my windows security programs run on linux?

i think we dont nedd antiviruses becaues there are few ( if any) viruses for linux and in order for them to do a destructive thing you must be logged in as root.
    To err is human, to forget your password is simply stupid.

Associate

Firewalls: iptables is the latest generation firewall for linux.
    http://www.netfilter.org

Antiviruses: usually not needed on workstations if you do not use the root shell permanently.
    Frequently antiviruses are running on Linux mail servers to filter the mail attachments.
    A Win32 worm might not harm your Linux box, but if you pass it to a Windows box then it will do its job.

Spyware: that's hilarious. Linux software is open-source. Noone could insert spyware code without being noticed.

This is a recommended kernel patch that improves the security of your Linux box.
    Not for newbies.
    http://www.grsecurity.net/

Unlike Windows machines, those who target *nix machines are usually more knowledeable in what they do. This in some ways is a more dangerous situation than that of Windows machines. Where Windows machines might get compromised by automated programs and worms, *nix machines can be used for to harbor more malicous programs. Packet sniffers, compromised kernel modules, rootkits etc. Worms are evident when you are using a Windows PC, but those a kernel module for example that has been compromised may never ever be detected on a *nix machine.

As Jdun has mentioned, Linux has lots of different programs to protect a network full of Windows PCs. Iptables and such all come standard to most Linux distros. You can also protect your mail servers with programs like ClamAV that scans all your incoming mail. Linux also never gets spyware since most spyware is targetted at Windows Explorer and simply won't work on Linux platforms.
    To err is human, to moo bovine.

Associate

vern:

1. You can see all kernel modules by typing

# lsmod

But I'm sure you know that.

2. But lsmod won't show you a rogue kernel module if it was replaced

3. You can check the integrity of important files (especially executable ones) by comparing periodically their MD5 checksum.

4. You won't know anything if the evil guy would also replace the MD5 checsums with wrong ones, so save your checksums on another computer or on removable media.

5. There's no danger of getting a rogue kernel module if you use a monolithic kernel. It's strongly recommended to have monolithic kernels on specialized servers like gateways, mail servers, web servers and so on.

I'm sorry if I'm getting too specific and my post confuses anyone.
    Many people related to computers think that paranoia pays of, I'm just one of them

Also I disagree that there's any difference between a compromised Windows box and a *nix one. Same thechniques, same motivations.
    There are also sniffers for Windows. And I wouldn't say that Linux hackers are more knowedgeable. I think it's because a lot of Linux users are illiterate or just lazy. Linux provides you more feedback than Windows in terms of configuration, it just requires a bit more effort from the sysadmin, and unfortunately many people skip this step.

lsmod hardly shows anything of use.

If you know you have rogue modules, the only really sensible route to take is a full re-install. It's impossible to audit everything on a live system very well.

First off, it takes a bit of knowhow to exploit a Linux server. While there are automated tools to take advantage of Windows servers where you can point and click, the automated tools in Linux tools require a bit of knowhow to use and run ... not to mention most of those tools actually require a Linux box to run on. Of course there are sniffers for Windows ... sniffers exist everywhere.

hahay...... just browse Google for softwares..

i think linux is safe.

Re: How safe is Linux in the Internet?

Only as safe as the weakest administrator.