Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP3 Audio CD's

Good Guru

MP3 Audio CD's

I recently upgraded my truck's CD player (old one died). The new one has MP3 cd capability. How can Linux burn MP3 audio discs? The NeroLinux and K3B dont do it (at least from what I can tell), and google/freshmeat are lacking anything on this (aside from Windows/OSX).

Any proggies that will do the trick?

Re:MP3 Audio CD's

I've done it with gtoaster. Just make sure you drag your files to where it would back it up as data and not covert them.

I've done it in the past with K#B. However, I do remember having to get Lame (or some other thing) installed before being able to do it.

Aha, found this:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20346

Good Guru

Well, what I want is an MP3 disc to play. As far as I know an mp3 disc is a data disc with the folders and the contents listed specially in a file. I just dont know the format of the file or what to exactly put there. I do not want to just convert to wave and burn the waves.

I know Win32 Nero and Roxio can do this, I just prefer NOT having to boot to windows. I thought that I could do this in linux, but forgot where or how. Perhaps I need to look at all of the current batch of CDR tools out there. For all I know it may have been XCDRoast.

Schotty I've done that with gtoaster. I have a mp3 player in my car too.

Good Guru

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=2;threadid=10294;start=0#msg92853 date=1110866146]
    Schotty I've done that with gtoaster. I have a mp3 player in my car too.
    [/quote]

Thanks, Ill give that a try then.

I use gtoaster to burn them for my truck as well.

I believe you should be able to do it with almost all of the linux CD Burning utilities you just need to make sure you are burning in data mode.

Good Guru

Hmm, so can I presume that there is nothing special to do to the disc? I did do one in Nero over at a friends house and it has a directory for each album, and then each song is selected from within. I havent had a chance to look at it on a pc to see what was done. Since I am now very much so in the programming mood (I got me some fun projects I have been working on), I am even willing to write it myself.

Well, I think I can get to looking at it later today. Ill see what the hell is done and post my findings here. I dont see a problem with making a frontend to cdrecord that burns them for me in GTK or wxWidgets, or hell even Java.

k3b works
    just burn a data disc of MP3s.....i do it all the time for the mp3 player in my car....

[quote author=Schotty link=board=2;threadid=10294;start=0#msg92858 date=1110926987]
    Hmm, so can I presume that there is nothing special to do to the disc? I did do one in Nero over at a friends house and it has a directory for each album, and then each song is selected from within. I havent had a chance to look at it on a pc to see what was done. Since I am now very much so in the programming mood (I got me some fun projects I have been working on), I am even willing to write it myself.

Well, I think I can get to looking at it later today. Ill see what the hell is done and post my findings here. I dont see a problem with making a frontend to cdrecord that burns them for me in GTK or wxWidgets, or hell even Java.
    [/quote]
    You could burn it with the songs in multiple folders or you could put all of the songs in the root directory of the CD.
    I find burning it with multiple folders makes it easier to navigate and find the songs I am looking for.