Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

My transfer rate is moving slower than dial up, but I am on broadband???

Thread: My transfer rate is moving slower than dial up, but I am on broadband???

My transfer rate is moving slower than dial up, but I am on broadband???

What setting do I need to check to download at regualr broadband rates? My Windows units move qickly, why doesn't my linux system run as well on line???

Good Guru

Re:My transfer rate is moving slower than dial up, but I am on broadband???

I am going to assume that these are the sames sites -- that the sites in Windows run fine, and slow on linux.

I would say go over your network settings. You may have a problem with your DNS. Also, I would like to know what NIC you have installed. There may be a known issue with the driver. Or even a hardware conflict. I do know for a fact that my nForce2 Realtek NIC runs like ass compared to my Tulip based Linksys/Cisco. And the Linksys/Cisco runs like ass compared to my 3Com (3Com and the higher end NICS are with the money).

[quote author=Schotty link=board=1;threadid=10285;start=0#msg92800 date=1110429306]
    I am going to assume that these are the sames sites -- that the sites in Windows run fine, and slow on linux.

I would say go over your network settings. You may have a problem with your DNS. Also, I would like to know what NIC you have installed. There may be a known issue with the driver. Or even a hardware conflict. I do know for a fact that my nForce2 Realtek NIC runs like ass compared to my Tulip based Linksys/Cisco. And the Linksys/Cisco runs like ass compared to my 3Com (3Com and the higher end NICS are with the money).
    [/quote]

How do I determine my NIC settings and if they are configured properly?

Do you mean, ie trying to download something big like openoffice and getting transfer rates of 2kb/s, or type in an address and have it wait for half a minute before coming up with the page, or both?

You say your windows boxes are doing ok but the linux one isn't. Are they in different spots in the network? It could be that for some reason your router isn't allowing very much bandwidth for your linux box. Maybe try taking the linux box over to the win box, and plug the network cable that went to the win box into the lin box and see if it's ok in that situation.

Check your bandwidth on Windows on this site, then do the same on Linux, compare and get back to us.

1. If things are working under windows, then lets not call this a "bandwidth" issue. It's clearly a configuration issue, so let's move to step two:

2. Though you haven't told us what distro you're running (is there no "how to post" FAQ?), I'm going to assume you have a tool installed called "mii-tool". Hopefully, running it at a command line (as root) will return something like this: "eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok". In that line of output, the most important parts are the "100", and the "FD". If you have a "10" instead of a 100, or "HD" instead of "FD", that's a problem. Let us know and we'll work it out from there.

3. If that's ok, then there are two more things to check out: run ifconfig eth0 and see if you have an "inet6" address. If you do, let us know, and we'll let you know how to disable ipv6.

4. If that's not it (um, or maybe even if it is), or if you still have issues after fixing all of this stuff, you should also do a google search for "tcp window scaling".

Good luck.