Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Linux #1

Ubuntu Linux #1

According to www.distrowatch.com, Ubuntu has replaced Mandrake as the #1 Paged Hit Rankings distro. This is using the last 3 months view also.

Long live Mandrake...

Re:Ubuntu Linux #1

im suprised that mandrake is so highly ranked, i dont hear honestly that much from people using it, everyone i talk to is always using distros like fedora, debian, ubuntu, slackware, gentoo, or arch.

Good Guru

Mandrake used to occupy a large portion of desktop users but it had died down since.

Good Guru

I have a few questions for Ubuntu. I'm running 4.10.

1/ How do I change the default WM?

2/ How do I get 4 desktops running with desktop switcher? I used to have 6 before but I can live with 4.

3/ Why Windows in Ubuntu are locked and can't be resize even though I have 1024x768 resolution? I have MUA in background and Firefox won't go more than 4/5 of the screen. With some extra buttons, I can barely see the URL window so I needed to guesstype it.

TIA

I've been using Uuu exclusively since it came out on my server at home, my laptop, my desktop, and my machine at work. I keep thinking I should probably get some variety and install FC3 or something, but I can't come up with a single thing that Uuu won't let me do, while I've always had hiccups with FC installs (ie, no mono in one install, no gdesklets in another). I'm running hoary on half my boxes and believe me when I say it's double what Warty was. Remarkable distro.

As for compunuts' questions:

1) This is not just an ubuntu thing but a Gnome-wide thing. Go to Applications->System Tools->Configuration Editor and select desktop->gnome->applications->window_manager. Set the "current" field to the location of your wm. Note that the wm must conform to freedesktop.org standards to work 100% flawlessly with Gnome.

2) Probably do-able via gconf as well (in the same location as the "current" field, I think...haven't tried though). But a sure way to do it is to right-click the Workspace Switcher applet (the one that gives you a skeleton of each desktop and switches to that desktop when clicked), and select "Preferences". That will let you bump up your number of workspaces.

3) Seems this is your own unique problem. Like I said, I've had ubuntu running on at least 5 boxes, and I've never seen this problem before. All my windows maximize as expected

Yeah Ubuntu is a pretty good distro. Horay has gnome 2.10 and its sweet.

Good Guru

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=7;threadid=10279;start=0#msg93095 date=1112546136]
    I'm running hoary on half my boxes and believe me when I say it's double what Warty was. Remarkable distro.
    [/quote]
    If it's that stable, then I should probably just bite the bullet and upgrade to Hoary.

<go off to issue command "sudo apt-get update && dist-upgrade">

1) This is not just an ubuntu thing but a Gnome-wide thing. Go to Applications->System Tools->Configuration Editor and select desktop->gnome->applications->window_manager. Set the "current" field to the location of your wm. Note that the wm must conform to freedesktop.org standards to work 100% flawlessly with Gnome.
    The problem is it doesn't show what WMs are currently installed and choosable. If I have to know exact locations of WMs, then it will be a lot harder for newbies to figure out. Not that I don't know how to figure out what WMs are on my system but just that it doesn't give you any choosable options.

2) Probably do-able via gconf as well (in the same location as the "current" field, I think...haven't tried though). But a sure way to do it is to right-click the Workspace Switcher applet (the one that gives you a skeleton of each desktop and switches to that desktop when clicked), and select "Preferences". That will let you bump up your number of workspaces.
    That also doesn't work. I tried that with 4 and 6 but it won't do a thing. I tried restarting WM and I tried rebooting but still no go.

3) Seems this is your own unique problem. Like I said, I've had ubuntu running on at least 5 boxes, and I've never seen this problem before. All my windows maximize as expected
    The problem seems to be that I'm missing the while top window bar where it display the name of the program and minimize, maximize and shutdown buttons are located. I'm missing the whole thing. I tried with different themes and location bars but still no go. As the last resort, I will delete the while .gnome directory from /home/<user> and will re-start from scratch. If that doesn't work, then gone Ubuntu sorry. I will upgrade to Debian Unstable.

:-\

Good Guru

Ah, the first post from Ubuntu Horay. 8)

I still dislike the fact that you can't choose which WM to run from the menu list. Instead, I will have to search for which WMs are installed. :

Hoary's slick. Just keep it well updated. The release candidates are good but there are still bugfixes going on.

By not being able to choose the wm, do you mean the "Sessions" tab at the login screen?

Good Guru

Solved all the problems I asked before (except WM chooser thing ). I manually added the desktop switcher applet to some place (the problem was the tool bar was configured to only used the space needed instead of the whole bar) and moved it where I wanted. 8)

Now, all I need is to figure out how to do WM choice on the fly and I'll be set.