Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

logging into windows xp from FC2 box
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: logging into windows xp from FC2 box

logging into windows xp from FC2 box

Greets All!!
    Im currently networking my 2 boxes together, one is a windows xp and the other is a fedora core 2. I can see the samba shares from the windows box, but I'll be john brown if i can log into or do anything with the windows box from linux. I cant even ssh into it. Im using putty on windows. Also, ive disabled the firewall on the ethernet port and allowed port 22 on the main firewall, but I still cannot get it to talk. I cant even print over the network. I usually have problems seeing the linux box from windows not the other way around.
    Do I need to setup the linux box as a pdc or am I missing something else?

Re:logging into windows xp from FC2 box

Did u set up samba to use encrypted passwords?

So you're trying to log into Windows from a FC2 box using SSH? Now I just checked out the PuTTY download site, and I didn't see a server listed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've done the linux -> windows ssh thing before. What worked for me was to install cygwin from http://www.cygwin.com/ . In fact, you don't need very much of cygwin. Mostly you need openssh (listed under "Network" or something like that). That will give you an ssh server as well as some basic utilities.

However, in my experience Cygwin is sort of overkill when all you need is something small like an ssh server. If PuTTY does indeed provide a server, let's try to get that working first.

Are you enabling that ridiculous Windows XP built in firewall? In fact, what firewall are you using? Try shutting it down entirely while you try to get the connection up and kicking.

Also, try explicitly specifying the port to use on your ssh client with the -p flag. Eg. "ssh -p 22 username@host"

Ok, I was using putty on the windows side to log into the fc2 box. Yes the passwords are encyrpted. I try to print and nothing. I can find the printer under samba. Actually, the firewall is disabled for the eth port, and I even explicitly allowed it thru and still nothing.
    I guess It would help if I explained what I wanted. I would like to be able to browse the windows xp box like the dos automount. I have files there that I wouldnt mind sharing back and forth. Also, I would like to be able to use the linux box as a gateway, because Im the only one here who would go thru the trouble of routing the cable just so I can dial up at 56. Call me crazy. I will look into cgywin and see whats whats.

10ded

Update:
    I got it setup. I had to enable the linux box to act as the PDC for the xp. N0w I can view both computers and shared directories with no probs
    I found the data on a webpage and will post it if any one wants it.

Did u setup a share for the printer under windows and samba? Its been several years since I have messed with samba, but I seem to recall having to do that.

tried to with no luck so far. Im not terribly worried about it right now. Im trying to get the xp box to use the PDC for the gateway, but so far im not having any luck. I also want to finish setting up the PDC for DNS caching and start playing around with the web page.

Good Guru

To get linux to share the net connection, you want to setup nat routing on it. firestarter should be able to do this fine.

For logging in from your windows box, there are ssh servers out there, but IIRC putty doesnt do this. I can say that my 10-15 minute google search only found this method for free (otherwise alot of money, on the order of $600 +).

http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html

Hope this helps you out some.

Good Guru

What can you do on Windows if you SSH into it?

I know there are some who uses Windows for Terminal services. I tried that with Win2k3 Terminal server but I don't know what to do after I got the prompt. :-[

Good Guru

I suppose the other way to do it is using windows Remote Desktop. Although that is more of a VNC tyoe solution.

I was trying to learn mostly. Currently I have it set up so that the fc2 is my PDC for the xp box. This means that I can now browse thru alot of my stuff on the xp box, as this is where I place most of my digital pix and the like. Like Schotty said, I need to setup the NAT routing on the fc2 and I should be able to browse thru it. I also plan to setup either a full DNS server or a caching one and also setup a webpage. Only way to learn is to do so....

BTW, I appreciate all of the posts with helpful hints. I know Im not a smart man, Ginny.

10ded