Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

FC3 and FireFox Sound problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FC3 and FireFox Sound problem

FC3 and FireFox Sound problem

Hi,

I just installed Redhat FC-3 and configured Nagios to monitoting my network.

When Nagios detected problem, the FireFox running on that FC-3 machine can't play back the alert sound.

I have tried IE and FireFox on the Windows XP platform, I can hear the alert sound without problem.

I did tried the sound-setting on the KDE and I can hear the sound without problem.

I tried the KDE browser (Konqueror) and having same problem.

Here are the output of the lsmod, could you tell me what is the problem?

[root@mrtg1 etc]# lsmod | grep snd
    snd_intel8x0 32865 2
    snd_ac97_codec 67105 1 snd_intel8x0
    snd_pcm_oss 47861 0
    snd_mixer_oss 17089 2 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_pcm 92233 3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
    snd_timer 28357 1 snd_pcm
    snd 52261 8 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_ oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
    soundcore 9889 2 snd
    snd_page_alloc 9541 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

Re:FC3 and FireFox Sound problem

First of all, welcome!!
    Now,
    Ive never really messed with Firefox before, but something that you can check is that the permissions between Firefox and your soundcard/program allow the other to access and/or use it.

10dedfish

Hi,
    It seems that you are using Alsa. I'd recommend running, "alsamixer" as root and turning up all the volume.

HTH..
    Shebang

Hi Dread Pirate Roberts/ Shebang

The SE linux part of the FC-3 is disabled, I did tried to logon as root to run the FireFox and having the same problem.

I did set everything to max. in the mixer. When I open a new terminal window, the KDE generated some event audio. But the FireFox can't
    playback the wav file.

I just tried to open a local wav file by the FireFox, it can't playback the wav file and I noted that, when I browsing the Nagios page. The FireFox asking to install a plug-in. I need something to lets FireFox play the wav file?

For the wav file, I think you might need something like realplayer.

Also, try:

aplay /usr/lib/mozilla/res/samples/test.wav and see if you get a "doink" from the speakers.

In alsamixer, all the settings can be high but they have to be turned on. If it says:
    Master [off] <-- Then that's the problem. < or > toggle the on/off buttons.

Hi Shebang,

The "aplay" can play back the wav file very well. I have added "WAV" into the FireFox's Download file types and open with "aplay".
    After that, the FireFox can playback the WAV file when I specified the URL "http://192.168.210.36/nagios/media/warning.wav".

But I still no audio alert with the Nagios. When browsing my Nagios page. The FireFox asks for Plugins installation to display the media. But no suitable plugins were found.........

I have checked the page source and found how the Nagios generates the warning audio alert.

<EMBED SRC='/nagios/media/warning.wav' HIDDEN=TRUE AUTOSTART=TRUE>

If I specified the URL "http://192.168.210.36/nagios/media/warning.wav", then I can playback the WAV file. Why the FireFox can playback the WAV file with "EMBED SRC=............" ?

Hi - Maybe you need realplayer ? Glad aplay helps. I don't really know a lot about Nagios. I'm thinking that you need realplayer but beyond that I am not sure what exactly might be the problem.

Try installing "mplayer-mozilla" or "mozilla-mplayer" (not certain which it is). You might have to track down a repository that has these packages along with all the dependencies. The mplayer plugin for mozilla-based browsers allows them to play pretty much any media format under the sun.

Hi Tyr_7BE,
    Thanks for your information. I have installed the "mozplugger" this afternoon and fixed the problem.

The FireFox, Mozilla needs additional programs (plugins) to playback the media in the webpage.

Thanks,

Shebang,
    Just so I know, How could you tell that he was using alsa by looking at the lsmod output?

10dedfish