Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

New to linux, cannot connect to internet
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to linux, cannot connect to internet

New to linux, cannot connect to internet

HI all,
    I am completely new to Linux. I recently installed Fedora core 3 in my HP pavilion. But I cannot connect to internet. I have High speed internet(cable).
    I tried to configure the network setting by Main menu> system tools> internet configuration wizard.
    But in configuration network setting window
    “Automatically obtain IP address setting with DHCP” option is disabled. What I have to do now?
    How can I test or make sure internet is working? Please help..

Thanks Roy

Re:New to linux, cannot connect to internet

hi roy,
    the 1st thing to do is make sure your NIC Network Inteface card) is up and running. Find the Hardware Browser under the system menu (I think...) and see if you NIC is listed and hopefully its status.

Another option is to open a terminal (right click on desktop, choose open terminal) and type /sbin/ifconfig

please let us know how that turns out.

Hi
    Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

This is the result of /sbin/ifconfig

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:E0:18:7B:9F:67
    inet addr:67.184.92.254 Bcast:67.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::2e0:18ff:fe7b:9f67/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:21 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:1951 (1.9 KiB)
    Interrupt:11 Base address:0xb000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:2237 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:2237 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:2284144 (2.1 MiB) TX bytes:2284144 (2.1 MiB)

And I didn’t find anything with NIC in hardware browser too.

Thanks a lot. Hope this will help.

Roy

hello,
    well based on the output of ifconfig you look connected - you have been assigned what looks like a good IP address(67.184.92.254). Under networking options you may need to set your DNS servers. You can do this at least two ways, open the network config tools and find the area to enter the number provided by your ISP, or enter the DNS numbers provided by your ISP in the file /etc/resolve.conf

To verify that is the issue try this:

http://24.227.85.242/

You should be able to browse to that page w/o DNS servers listed.

[quote author=roy link=board=4;threadid=10233;start=0#msg92414 date=1108406439]
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:E0:18:7B:9F:67
    inet addr:67.184.92.254 Bcast:67.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::2e0:18ff:fe7b:9f67/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:21 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:1951 (1.9 KiB)
    Interrupt:11 Base address:0xb000
    [/quote]

Looks like your Ethernet card all ready has an IP assigned to it. What exactly is the problem here?

Hi,
    Actually since my dhcp wasn’t working, I just assigned that ip to it.
    Sorry I didn’t mentioned it earlier

Thanks

Hi,
    Sorry guys I have to go. But I will be back ASAP

Thanks
    Roy

Before we get too complicated here. Are you on a home network with a router? Or is this your only computer attached to your cable modem?

With that said if you answered yes to the second question then I would do the following. Turn off your computer. Turn your cable modem off, you may have to just pull the power plug out from the back of the modem. Leave the cable modem off for a minute or so. Turn the modem back on... After it powers up and it does its testing stuff and the lights look like normal on the cable modem go turn your PC on. Now run /sbin/ifconfig and see if you were able to obtain an IP.

[quote author=Izan Seth link=board=4;threadid=10233;start=0#msg92420 date=1108412283]
    Before we get too complicated here. Are you on a home network with a router? Or is this your only computer attached to your cable modem?

This is a single computer attached to cable modem.

With that said if you answered yes to the second question then I would do the following. Turn off your computer. Turn your cable modem off, you may have to just pull the power plug out from the back of the modem. Leave the cable modem off for a minute or so. Turn the modem back on... After it powers up and it does its testing stuff and the lights look like normal on the cable modem go turn your PC on. Now run /sbin/ifconfig and see if you were able to obtain an IP.
    [/quote]

I tried like this but still I am not getting an ip. The ip is still
    67.184.92.254 which I assigned, just as a try.

Thanks
    Roy

From the command line, try running:

Code:
    /sbin/dhcpcd eth0