Thread: XP/FC3 dual boot trouble

XP/FC3 dual boot trouble

I am running a windoze XP Pro machine on an 80GB HD and I installed FC3 on a second 40GB HD.

Here is the problem, I have been sifting through all of the different forums and have not found a good detailed instruction on how to fix my problem. By detailed I mean a set of instructions at each phase of the fix. Like "once you get to the shell type "Yada, yada, yada" and then do this by typing "whatever" then to close it out type this "More whatever" I apologize for any inconvenience but I am brand new to Linux and would like very much to learn how to just get it to play nicely with XP :

O.K., done whining now! ;D Here is the problem:

I installed FC3 on the second drive but I made the default start-up OS the XP one.

I did tell the set-up to use GRUB as the boot loader. Now when I start my machine it boots directly into windows without so much as a how-do-you-do from GRUB.
    So I can't do anything with the Linux stuff because I don't know what commands to use to do it. As I said before, not enough of a detailed account of what I need to do. I have tried a few things but I always end up in the same place.

I also heard that if I do get to the point where I can load GRUB somewhere like on the first drive that has the windows loader That this will mess up the boot section on the Windows disk. Is this true??

Thanks a bunch in advance!!

Good Guru

Re:XP/FC3 dual boot trouble

Set the default boot device as that drive in your BIOS. That should do the trick. For some reason, I believe, that your bootloader got installed on the wrong drive.

Seconded. Try telling your boot device to boot from Primary IDE Master, Primary Slave, Secondary Master, or Secondary Slave. One of those should solve your problem.

I Have tried changing the settings in the BIO's so that a different drive boots first but when I do that all I get is a message saying that there is no OS on that device to boot to. Still no GRUB. I am going to try to install on the MBR on the windows drive. Hopefully that won't mess up my Windows boot partition.

Thanks,

Loren

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=loren link=board=25;threadid=10223;start=0#msg92360 date=1108035846]
    I Have tried changing the settings in the BIO's so that a different drive boots first but when I do that all I get is a message saying that there is no OS on that device to boot to. Still no GRUB. I am going to try to install on the MBR on the windows drive. Hopefully that won't mess up my Windows boot partition.

Thanks,

Loren
    [/quote]

I haven't used FC3, but I have used several other distros in a dual boot config with XP. I wouldn't worry too much about messing things up, honestly. I have never had a problem with the main boot record.

I would suggest going for it. As a precaution, if you have a dos-based (Win95/98) boot disc, you could use it to blast the mbr if things get messed up. A word of caution for that is that it doesn't always help (its worked a couple of times for me and it's barfed on me numerous times, too).

Cheers

I did figure out that the boot loader is set to 10 seconds now that I re-loaded FC3, but this time I left FC3 as the default to start at start-up.

Now when I boot as long as I am paying attention to the monitor if I hit enter or any other key I get GRUB then obviously I can chose either XP or FC3.

I now need to figure out how to change the delay time to like 30 seconds or so, that way if I need to go to Windoze, I can.

Other than that, It is working so far :-\ Time will tell now.

Thanks a bunch for the help all

Loren

Good Guru

/boot/grub/grub.conf

find the line that says:

timeout=5

And change that to how many seconds you want to hav it wait. Plus you can change the default there too.

default=0

Should be changed to

default=1

if you want the other OS to load.

Thanks Schotty,

That is just what I did. Now I have plenty of time to chose which ever one I want.

I broke down and bought the Wiley FC3 bible for a lot less than it would have cost me to put another version of Windblows on the machine.

And for all of the toys that I have seen so far on FC3, its like someone giving me a brand new car for nothing!!!
    I couldn't believe all of the cool stuff in there.

Time for me to go play some more, this is awesome!!

Loren