Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DVD Drive Bad

Kind Mastermind

Re:DVD Drive Bad

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=3;threadid=10210;start=0#msg93139 date=1112624204]
    I myself like Totem. It's got a great interface written in beautiful GTK2. Plays everything under the sun too.

First, install Totem with the Xine backend ("totem-xine" on Ubuntu...not sure about others). Then grab the essential codec package from mplayer: http://ftp5.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/rel...050216.tar.bz2

In totem, go Edit->Preferences->Proprietary Plugins, and extract the contents of the essential codec package into the window that pops up so that all the actual codec files are in the top level directory (ie, there should be no subdirectories, just files).

Finally, make sure you install libdvdcss to play dvds.

Easy as that...you can now play quicktime, most wmv files, all avi and mpegs, and dvds with a really well designed player.
    [/quote]

You may have just solved the most nagging problem that I've had with Ubuntu on my iBook...no DVD support. I'm downloading the package right now. Unfortunately, I have to use a usb flash drive to transfer files since where I am at only allows M$ computers on the network. I will transfer the files and see how it goes.

Cheers

Re:DVD Drive Bad

I guess I had Totem setup already to play dvds. Only problem was, I had to go in Pref and change the drive from my cd burner to the dvd drive path. After that, it played dvd without anymore input.

Man, I must say, the right linux distro and its up there with Win & OSX if you ask me.