Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xine cant play *.wmv

xine cant play *.wmv

what do i need to play a *.wmv ? a pluggin for xine?
    or a different program?

Re:xine cant play *.wmv

MPlayer.

You'll need the Win32 Codecs, even if you choose a different program.

http://ftp3.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/

MPlayer, VLC, Xine, gstreamer, they all need the codecs. Download the codecs and uncompress them into your `/usr/lib/win32' directory.

Good luck.

PS: There maybe some legal ramafications to using this codecs, just remember "I Am Not A Lawyer".

Mine plays it pretty damn well, using Totem w/ xine backend.

If you're using totem, Select Edit->Preferences and a window called "totem-addons" will pop up. Grab the essential codec pack from mplayer's website and extract it to totem-addons. Worked like a charm.

This means that there's a way to do it with xine, but you'll probably have to screw around with plugin paths, etc. I belive there are instructions on xine's website.

thx

I had such a hard time getting those durn codecs, I'd have to say WINE almost is a better solution.

I actually used to feel exactly the same way. But once I discovered totem my view changed entirely. Installing codecs under totem is so easy it's not even funny. It literally presents you with a window into which you drag the codec, and you're done. I can play all but the latest wmv file (for which I believe there is no codec at present).

I'd highly recommend totem to anybody considering it. It's beautifully layed out and just plays movies well. I use the xine version (uses xine as its engine to play videos), but from what I hear the gstreamer version doesn't suck as much as it used to these days.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=1;threadid=10198;start=0#msg92198 date=1107310838]

If you're using totem, Select Edit->Preferences and a window called "totem-addons" will pop up. Grab the essential codec pack from mplayer's website and extract it to totem-addons. Worked like a charm.

This means that there's a way to do it with xine, but you'll probably have to screw around with plugin paths, etc. I belive there are instructions on xine's website.
    [/quote]

The Totem I installed on my Gentoo box uses gstreamer - I think. I'll take a look at the xine one (i think my USE flags need some changing). Thanks for the mini-mini-review on Totem Tyr! I use mplayerplug-in with all the codecs. I am hoping that Apple will release Quicktime for Linux in the near future.

[quote author=Shebang link=board=1;threadid=10198;start=0#msg92228 date=1107457864]
    [quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=1;threadid=10198;start=0#msg92198 date=1107310838]

[/quote]

The Totem I installed on my Gentoo box uses gstreamer - I think. I'll take a look at the xine one (i think my USE flags need some changing). Thanks for the mini-mini-review on Totem Tyr! I use mplayerplug-in with all the codecs. I am hoping that Apple will release Quicktime for Linux in the near future.
    [/quote]

Code:
    USE="-gstreamer" emerge totem
    The gstreamer backend has come a long way but it still isn't as good as the xine one.

[quote author=eslackey link=board=1;threadid=10198;start=0#msg92229 date=1107461057]
    [quote author=Shebang link=board=1;threadid=10198;start=0#msg92228 date=1107457864]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Code:
    USE="-gstreamer" emerge totem
    The gstreamer backend has come a long way but it still isn't as good as the xine one.
    [/quote]

Yeah. I did that already. Still, thanks for teh info!