Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What To Get?

Re:What To Get?

amd? intel

[quote author=burntash link=board=3;threadid=10195;start=0#msg92189 date=1107272626]
    amd? intel
    [/quote]

Ah .... why? Wintel anyone? Although AMD is not above this either ...

Thnx for the replies. But after researching, I'm leaning towards getting the AMD64 and maybe later buy a used G3 for around $200 or so.

I believe I would get more bang for my bucks building the AMD64system.

because a p4 will beat the shit out of an amd64?

Not price wise... ;D

Another question. What linux distro works well with sata hard drives?

Thnx.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Saptech link=board=3;threadid=10195;start=0#msg92187 date=1107249281]
    I was reading a review of the Mini Mac and from it it states, for those thinking of buying one.

Apple should not be allowed to sell any system with OS X with less than 512MB of memory; and you shouldn't buy the mini with less than 512MB of memory. It's as simple as that.
    The complete article is http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2328.

[/quote]

For general purpose use you can get by with less than 512 mb of ram. My G3-based iBook has 256mb of ram and works just fine. It's relatively fast, everything runs smoothly, etc. I just think it's a matter of opinion. Of course, if I was going to try DVD authoring I'd want more ram. It just depends on your needs/wants.

Cheers

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=3;threadid=10195;start=0#msg92204 date=1107325424]
    [quote author=Saptech link=board=3;threadid=10195;start=0#msg92187 date=1107249281]
    I was reading a review of the Mini Mac and from it it states, for those thinking of buying one.

Apple should not be allowed to sell any system with OS X with less than 512MB of memory; and you shouldn't buy the mini with less than 512MB of memory. It's as simple as that.
    The complete article is http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2328.

[/quote]

For general purpose use you can get by with less than 512 mb of ram. My G3-based iBook has 256mb of ram and works just fine. It's relatively fast, everything runs smoothly, etc. I just think it's a matter of opinion. Of course, if I was going to try DVD authoring I'd want more ram. It just depends on your needs/wants.

Cheers
    [/quote]
    Are you using OSX on the G3?

I think I'm going to get the Mini Mac and add ram & need some kind of wireless nic to work with my tower's Dlink wireless router.

Does anybody know which Mac Nic will work with this router? Any suggestions?

Thnx.

I've ordered my Mini Mac with 512mb Ram & one of those wireless Airport Cards.

Should get it within two weeks, hopefully.

[quote author=Saptech link=board=3;threadid=10195;start=0#msg92413 date=1108405399]
    I've ordered my Mini Mac with 512mb Ram & one of those wireless Airport Cards.

Should get it within two weeks, hopefully.

[/quote]

Very cool. Let us know how it works out for you. What distro you thinking about throwing on it? (Debian, YellowDog, Gentoo seem to be the most popular)