Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

setting up dual boot system with XP/Debian 2.2r2

Thread: setting up dual boot system with XP/Debian 2.2r2

Hybrid View

setting up dual boot system with XP/Debian 2.2r2

hi,

I hope this is the right place for this question?? I am trying to set up a dual boot system using XP and Debian 2.2r2.

What I am looking for is a detailed description of what exactly I need to do to get the system to boot to the OS I want at start up??

I currently have XP pro on one 80GB HD which is the primary master and I want to put Debian on a second 40GB drive that is the primary slave drive. What I need to know specifically is how to get the boot loader onto the XP drive before the 1024 limit. From what I understand the boot loader has to be on the first sector in order to work. Or is that only for older systems? I just built this system 6 months ago.

Now, how do I do that with XP already installed?? Can I put the loader on the XP drive with the drive already formatted?? How exactly would I do that?? ???

Thanks in advance for the help.

Loren

Re:setting up dual boot system with XP/Debian 2.2r2

There are some good Lilo & Grub bootloader Howtos in the Tutorial sections here, be sure to read those.

If you use Lilo as the bootloader, you would have to add it to MBR and it should pick XP as another OS to add to it during installation of Debian. Grub should pick it up also, but not sure if Grub is included with 2.2.

If you want to use NTLDR as the bootloader here is a link on how to do it.

http://jaeger.morpheus.net/linux/ntldr.php

Of course, I've never done it using two different hard drives, personally, so If something is wrong, someone else can explain better.

Thank you for the help. I think I may just be reading more into it than is necessary. I do that sometimes. ;D

Good Guru

[quote author=loren link=board=25;threadid=10154;start=0#msg91873 date=1105826615]
    I am trying to set up a dual boot system using XP and Debian 2.2r2.
    [/quote]
    It's rather too old. Why not get the latest stable or if you have broadband, just do Network install which I personally prefer. A lot easier that way and always up to date.

I currently have XP pro on one 80GB HD which is the primary master and I want to put Debian on a second 40GB drive that is the primary slave drive.
    This is the safest setup if you can afford to have extra drive. If Linux screw it up and can't boot into Windows, all you need to do is "fdisk /mbr" and you will be on your way to boot up Windows again. Not that it will happen but always nice to know you have a choice.

What I need to know specifically is how to get the boot loader onto the XP drive before the 1024 limit. From what I understand the boot loader has to be on the first sector in order to work. Or is that only for older systems?
    It's for older versions of Linux. It had been fixed for quiet some time now.

Now, how do I do that with XP already installed?? Can I put the loader on the XP drive with the drive already formatted?? How exactly would I do that?
    By software design, if you choose to boot your system from HDD, it will automatically write boot loaders into MBR (Master Boot Record) area of the bootable drive.

HTH

Thank you for the advice. The reason I have an older version of Debian is because I bought the Debian GNU/Linux bible from the book store and that is what it came with.

I do have 3 Meg broadband so maybe that would be the best route to take. That is if it is streamlined enough. I have to admit, this is my first time playing with Linux of any kind so I do need some hand holding along the way.

Thanks again,

Loren