Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fav. music format. .ogg .mp3 .aac ...

Hybrid View

Fav. music format. .ogg .mp3 .aac ...

Guys what is your favorite music format?

I have heard nothing but great things about aac sp? My bro has an ipod and is converting all his mp3s to it. He says it makes his mp3s sound better and are smaller.

Ogg seems like a good idea. Not many mp3 plays support it.

What else is out there. Any newer better formats?

Re:Fav. music format. .ogg .mp3 .aac ...

I've heard that aac is better. However, it has little support.
    One note of caution, though: MP3's are a lossy (sp) compression format (you loose quality in the compression.) So reencoding MP3's as something else would still give you a lower quality music file. I personally don't think converting a music file to another format can enhance it.
    If you rip the track as aac, then perhaps you might notice an increase in quality.

HTH.

ogg and aac pretty much sound the same to me, though i kind of lean to AAC as better compression, the files are also smaller than that of ogg. the reason i use ogg instead of aac is because its pretty much the same quality and its an open format, ill fork over a extra MB or two for the privelage of more support.

The difference between a high quality (ie, approx 256 kbps) MP3 and a high quality Ogg and a high quality AAC can't really be heard except on a VERY pricy stereo system by a very fussy audiophile.

As for favorites, I can't say AAC because support really is sketchy. I don't know of any encoders other than iTunes (are they out there?). Between those that do have a decent amount of linux support, ie MP3 and Ogg, I prefer Ogg simply because it's not encumbered by any patents. It's also inherently a VBR codec which I really dig cause it's really efficient and sounds good. However, my mp3 player doesn't like ogg so for now everything I have is high quality MP3 VBR.

Does anyone know of any lossless way to convert between Ogg and MP3? Ideally when I get a player that can do Oggs I'd like to convert all my VBR MP3s into Ogg files but not if it means restoring to wav and re-encoding at a loss of quality.

Personally I use MP3s

Oggs arn't supported by my nomad, nor are AACs.

However i have about 400 songs (my list isn't huge or anything) most of which are legal. When I buy the CD i rip it at 256Kbps.. with the equipment I cant tell the difference. Maybe when we get the new monitors (the sound kind not the visual kind) we ordered in our school's studio I'll give them a listen as well as the CD and see if i can compare the two. Be a good experiment -- though i probobly couldn't tell because im not that good at recognizing things like that..

Nothing beats good vinyl played on a vacuum tube amplified stereo system with quality speakers.

[quote author=cga link=board=14;threadid=10140;start=0#msg91880 date=1105839169]
    Nothing beats good vinyl played on a vacuum tube amplified stereo system with quality speakers.
    [/quote]
    Yea and some of the album covers would open up and be like a mini poster. Some bands/singers would have some kool covers!

I know the Beatles had cutouts on Sergaent Pepper's.

Beatles - the most overrated band ever.

Funny this thread should pop up....I recently developed a new distant ambition: gigabit ethernet throughout the house and a server streaming music in flac format. Shouldn't be too hard to pull off either...just need the time and resources.

[quote author=Countach44 link=board=14;threadid=10140;start=0#msg91883 date=1105842705]
    I know the Beatles had cutouts on Sergaent Pepper's.

Beatles - the most overrated band ever.
    [/quote]
    I beg to disagree on that. Besides making great music, making music that revolutionized the era (since there was nothing similar at the moment), most modern music is influenced somewhat by them.

Very few bands have done such thing.