Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

A question for y'all
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for y'all

Good Guru

A question for y'all

I was talking to a few people I have recently introduced to linux. Most are rather pleased. I woudl say the one thing that they dislike is some of the more mundane things such as configuring yum. I was thinking, would I be a useful idea to write a Loki Installer app, or an rpm even, that would automate alot of the update process. I was leaning towards an rpm simply because I can then have the update service a repo for yum, and push new repos that way, as well as any other rpms that I would build and support (such as grapevine or a better java installation rpm).

So would that be worth the effort? Would people utilize this?

Re:A question for y'all

Good idea. Yes.

I had a similar idea a while back.. sorta like a portage with a gui that could maybe ask some questions, or even just have normal defaults that worked, about the thing our installing and configure it using some preset defaults based on that so it would "work" out of the box.. and then if you wanted to tweak it later you could..

so in other words, i think your on the right track.

Good Guru

I am currently switching jobs, so I will have alot better time available and less sporaticness. I will be working as a tech for GE Medical. I will be on third shift all the time as opposed to a first/second shift crap like I have now.

Plus we have for FC4, a new yum GUI frontend on its way.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=10136;start=0#msg91859 date=1105746997]
    Plus we have for FC4, a new yum GUI frontend on its way.
    [/quote]

Let me introduce you to wxpython. It's simple to make good applications with little time and code. If you register the project let me know and I'll lend a bit of help.

Good Guru

thanks. that is a great idea. I am planning on getting some code ready by the first of the month give or take.

Sorry, maybe I'm not getting it. In fact I'm definitely not getting it. What is it that this rpm will do? It sounds like Schotty's talking about an rpm that installs some config files and IntraNick's talking about a gui for gentoo USE flags. Or maybe I have an IQ of 40 and am what some would call mentally retarded.

Could you give a use case to demonstrate?

???

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=13;threadid=10136;start=0#msg92507 date=1108788468]
    Sorry, maybe I'm not getting it. In fact I'm definitely not getting it. What is it that this rpm will do? It sounds like Schotty's talking about an rpm that installs some config files and IntraNick's talking about a gui for gentoo USE flags. Or maybe I have an IQ of 40 and am what some would call mentally retarded.

Could you give a use case to demonstrate?

???
    [/quote]

I was confused, too. Thus, I would say that if you have an IQ of 40, I must be hovering around 20 or so. Doh!

Cheers

Well I think that maybe they are both kind of talking of the same thing.

While IntraNick may have been talking about Gentoo and Portage Schotty was talking about an easier configurator for YUM. While there is GYUM an application for installing RPMs using YUM there is nothing to actually set YUM up. So maybe this thing could help you to select repositories and maybe excludes.

At least that is what I was thinking they were talking about. So maybe my IQ is around 10 or so ;D :P

Good Guru

This is a tool to setup a stock system to have the more useful repos and to give the user access to proper DVD playback, MP3 support, and such. I understand that Fedora has to follow the US law, and not allow that. But I dont ;D I can be naughty and aid people to do what they should really have in the first place. A working playback for DVD and audio.

There are a few other things that I have been mulling over on including, but at this time I will not promise anything. Most are video game related. Since that is usually the other thing that irritates some new Fedora users on their first install.

Since I got back to school and reintroduced to C/C++ and forced to write a few python/bash scripts to get our lab fixed -- I am remotivated to get this shit done and in place. Now its just getting the time together to do it Women + School + Full time job = full week, and no hair ;D