Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to setup Linux as Client on a Windows server

How to setup Linux as Client on a Windows server

Hi guys! I think its been a long time since my last visit to this forum coz i was bz in our office... anyway, i would like to ask your help.

So this is my case, we got this CORP domain in our network and we got this so called Quicklook ID as our Login name. We use Win2000 or WinXP Pro as OS in our workstations. What i want to do is i got this extra terminal and ive installed RedHat 9. I want to try to use this terminal as my workstation for Linux. So, how do i configure my RedHat terminal so that it would act the same as my Win 2000 workstaion? I already took notes on the important datas that are shown when typing ipconfig /all in my Win 2000, bcoz i thought this should be helpfull when configuring my Linux box. Currently, i was able to connect my Linux box on the network and it found all Win terminals, but when i tried on a Win terminal to find my Linux box, it cannot see it. I just use ping.... hehehe please excuse my grammar, i know its bad.... so, thanks for advance!

You have to properly configure your samba found in
    /etc/samba/smb.conf

if its possible post your smb.conf here, and well try to figure it out maybe we could fix something.
    Registered Linux User # 279330

Do you log in into a domain? or just a workgroup? Using Windows network services on a workgroup is easy as using a Samba network browser. I like SMB4K. The most recent versions of Gnome has support built into Nautilus I think.
    To err is human, to moo bovine.

Hi, sry for d delayd response...

vern: yes, we login in a domain which is namely CORP... coz when we login
    using Win2K, we still need to specify the Domain...

BadDudes: im not sure if i have edit the smb.conf since installation... and
    also im not sure what specific datas u want to see so ill just
    paste the whole data, heheh sori 4 this long messg...

smb.conf:

***** Edited By BadDudes *******

ok got your smb.conf file .. try this on your smb.conf..... though I have not tried my rig on a domain... but this script will work on a workgroup. this will share the /tmp to all users in the workgroup.... HTH

BACKUP YOUR SMB.CONF

# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
    # smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
    # here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
    # many!) most of which are not shown in this example
    #
    # Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
    # is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
    # for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
    # may wish to enable
    #
    # NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command "testparm"
    # to check that you have not made any basic syntactic errors.
    #
    #======================= Global Settings =====================================
    [global]

workgroup = MYGROUP
    server string = Samba Server
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    load printers = yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.log
    max log size = 50
    security = user
    map to guest= Bad User
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    dns proxy = no

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes

[public]
    comment = Public Shares
    path = /tmp
    public = yes
    only guest = yes
    writeable = yes

BadDudes, thanks for the .conf, ill try this later... i think i should read about samba first inorder to understand more... its just that i was using Windows for a long time and it made me despirate to ask this stupid qstn without trying/playing with it first... hehehe sry for dat... anyway, bcoz we just got or task done, i think ill have a longer time to read about samba and Linux networking stuff... ill just come bak here if i have a qstn,k?... hehehe thanks agn guys.... see u soon!!! ill do my best to becom lyk u guys... God bless!

@Galahad ... you dont have to be sorry ... were all newbies here! and as far as im concern this is what boss verns main objective here (this forum) share, ask and help!

Sometimes things are much smoother when people point you the right way so don't be afraid to ask questions.

If you get stuck, come back. We've all been throught the same path.

BTW, check out O'reilly's "Using Samba" book. They have a copy of it online at:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/
    To err is human, to moo bovine.

@ galahad ... how is it?

hi all! sry for the long vacation response, we were a little bit busy... anyway, i used Knoppix as my distro just for practice.. heheh about samba, realy thanks guys, ive now idea about the use of this tool... ive learned that this is the one to se inorder to communicate with Windows network... i wasnt able to eperiment with my smb.conf cause ive found a cool app of knoppix which acts like My Network Neighborhood in Windows.. so i was able to see all share folders inside our Windows network without doing any smb.conf editing.. i know this is bad cause there was no challenge but i promise to play with the smb.conf manually... so, now im able to see the shares... btw, ive jst installed XP as my new OS.. i know this sucks, bt still hav to learn more abt Linux on Win netwrk... so, i think the status abt my issue is 40% success.. so ill jst explain wat ive found out abt our netwrk setup... when ive installed the new OS, ive added a user using User Accounts... then i installed smthing called SMS2003 Client, and Trend Micro Client... because when we logon to our network, during OS loading, a DOS applicatn will run automatically and checks if this two apps are installed, if not, a warning will appear.. so my questions are:

How do i add my quicklookID as user in Linux? Cause in XP, ive used ControlPanel/UserAccounts... and during that, i enterd my quicklook and a domain location and clickd the check name.. it found my account and added it as user... then the logon window was chaged and there was the combobox for domains which was not there when freshly installed. When i check my knoppix, it has smthing like KUser, i thot this is it bt it has no smthng like Check names from a domain buttn... maybe its bcoz i havnt yet connect my distro to the LAN? or is there any effect with the appearnce if not connected? also, what is the SMS Client and Trend MIcro Client for Linux? is this possible? Ive asked our ITS, they said its possible but its a hassle...:-) heheh sry for this long post, its just that ive left this behind too long... thanks again guys!