Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

A few damn small linux distro questions ;)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few damn small linux distro questions ;)

A few damn small linux distro questions ;)

I have been using damn small linux(dsl) since version 0.5 for when I get bored. I am starting to get more serious though, I currently run SuSe 9.1 Pro and have an old 486 machine I would like to put DSL on with a hardrive install.
    [hr:2494033bd3]
    1) Anyone know where to get dsl's source? I will be emailing the developer after this.
    2)How would I go about installing KDE 3.2 or greater?
    3) What should I use to manage rpm's like suse does?

~Thanks

Isn't DSL made to be a non-X linux install? or at the very least a very minimal GUI install??

I would install something like slackware 10 or stick with suse if you wanted kde. (Just my two cents)

:duck:

Re: A few damn small linux distro questions ;)

I know, but I really want to get dsl to run KDE. I have never done much linux code editing, but I figured it was time I tried. I have C/C++ experience, so not much problem on that end. Just need some resources/tutorials on how to do it.

Damn small runs a small X window system.
    Got any links on how to do this?

Associate

Re: A few damn small linux distro questions ;)

dsl source is just plain debian.

I doubt that the small X server they use is even capable of running kde. If you want debian with KDE, Simply Mepis or something like that is the way to go.

You could always get the dpkg package and install it and then apt-get the rest of what you need.

You have a link to this Mepis?

Associate

Looks, nice, but the reason I liked DSL was the small size. Is there any other distro near the same size(~100mb or less) running kde?

Associate
    http://slax.linux-live.org/

Slax is as close as you will get. It is slackware based but is kde by default - give it a shot.

That is almost exactly what I want. Thank you.

Associate
    NP - enjoy.