Thread: iBook Questions

Kind Mastermind

iBook Questions

I have a few questions, most of which are opinion questions.

1. Can I totally erase MacOS X and install Ubuntu without OS X being on it? Is that what yaboot is all about?
    2. What would be the most compelling reason(s) for keeping MacOS X?
    3. If I did keep it, how many gigs (out of 40) would you use for the MacOS partition?
    4. Is there some way to upgrade 10.1 to the latest release of MacOS X without spending a large sum of money (free would be nice, though I would be willing to spend some money to upgrade)?

Any suggestions/answers to my questions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers

Re:iBook Questions

1. you can totally erase mac osx and put ubuntu on it, right now i currently dual boot the 2 OS's, ubuntu works beautifully out of the box cept theres still no sleep and i heard no wireless.

2. this is a pretty personal decision, dual boot and see which you like more.

3. if you were going to dual boot, id say give at least half to mac osx.

4. im not sure about this, my ibook came with 10.3.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=burntash link=board=11;threadid=10106;start=0#msg91541 date=1104292819]
    1. you can totally erase mac osx and put ubuntu on it, right now i currently dual boot the 2 OS's, ubuntu works beautifully out of the box cept theres still no sleep and i heard no wireless.

2. this is a pretty personal decision, dual boot and see which you like more.

3. if you were going to dual boot, id say give at least half to mac osx.

4. im not sure about this, my ibook came with 10.3.
    [/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to power the machine up and give MacOS X a spin. I might just go ahead and partition 10/10/20 (the 20 will be for multimedia-type files that can be shared between the two OSes). Who knows? I'll see if I like MacOS X or not and I'll have to see if the programs that I want to use are available or not. I would say that is the biggest factor, overall.

Cheers

thats exactly what i plan on doing once os x 10.4 comes out. i basically keep os x around just in case theres something that i need it for plus until i get sleep working on linux i gotta try out that benh patch.

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=11;threadid=10106;start=0#msg91540 date=1104289058]
    4. Is there some way to upgrade 10.1 to the latest release of MacOS X without spending a large sum of money (free would be nice, though I would be willing to spend some money to upgrade)?
    [/quote]

If you are a student or are in certian professions Apple gives discounts. There are also vouchers that come with new hardware from Apple that can sometimes be used for OS discounts.

Kind Mastermind

Okay, I got it today. Played with it, having much fun. Of course, I reinstalled OSX (didn't want the other owners preferences) but haven't put Linux on it, yet.

My biggest question is this: I connected the comp to my cable modem but I can't get a connection to the outside world. What am I doing wrong? What needs to be done in order for my comp to be able to get online?

Cheers

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=11;threadid=10106;start=0#msg91559 date=1104384604]
    Okay, I got it today. Played with it, having much fun. Of course, I reinstalled OSX (didn't want the other owners preferences) but haven't put Linux on it, yet.

My biggest question is this: I connected the comp to my cable modem but I can't get a connection to the outside world. What am I doing wrong? What needs to be done in order for my comp to be able to get online?

Cheers
    [/quote]

I may not put Linux on my iBook after all. I'm really enjoying OS X! Very stable, very pretty, very likeable. Once I get home, I'm going to get the ethernet up and running so that I can install fink and have all the Open Source goodness I can possibly want. Right now I have MacCrackAttack, FrozenBubble, OpenOffice.rog, and a couple of other Open Source programs installed.

Cheers

this app seems to be pretty helpful because it runs openoffice without starting up an X server (NeoOffice/J)
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22021

if you're into games, a number of older games have recently been open sourced, such as Bungie's Marathon series, SpaceGirl (aka No Gravity), and the Privateer remake...and many more!

as for linux, I don't use it on my ibook because of sleep issues(it many times will not wake from sleep for various reasons, depending on the distro) however once I get my hands on YDL 4.0.1 I will try because they claim to have resolved the issue