Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fdisk/format

fdisk/format

hello, I'm new at the linux end of knowledge. I am working with a 60 gig HD, so space shouldn't be an issue. The operating system is Redhat linux professional. 7.2. Recommended space for a full install is: 4.5 gig on the HD and 96 MB of memory. My ram is 256. Below is the result of loading the OS.

/dev/hda
    /dev/hda1- 1 6 47 ext3 /boot Yes
    /dev/hda2- 7 5367 42061 ext3 /user Yes
    /dev/hda3- 5369 7329 15383 ext3 /home Yes
    /dev/hda4- 7330 7476 1153 Extended
    /dev/hda5- 7330 7378 384 / Yes
    /dev/hda6- 7379 7411 259 /var Yes
    /dev/hda7- 7412 7476 510 swap
    This is why I believe I have a problem. When I start to load OfficeStar 5.2, (the full option) I recieve an error regarding not enough space. The full package is 265.1 MB.
    The directory it wants to put OfficeStar on is: /root/officestar52.

So with this problem I desided to wipe the HD clean and start a fresh OS load. The HD originally had Redhat 7.2 loaded on it. Just for practice I wanted to fdisk and format this and start again. Using a DOS version fidisk, I removed all linux partitions *execept* the extended linux partition. I keep getting looped when trying to remove this partition. I have a feeling that fdisk sees this as a logical partition in the extended memory. I attempt to remove the logical partition and "no logical partitions defined" , then I try to remove the extended and I get " can't remove extended partition while logical partition exists." My second attempt was trying a copy of fdisk(linux). However, when I try this I get a warning that " can't remove partition in standard mode".
    So with a extended partition on the HD and nothing else, I desided to load the OS again, and then veiw fdisk. Just to see if 2 extended partitions where now there. This didn't happen. I recieved a couple of warnings when loading but in the end the exact partition scheme was loaded again.

So my question is how do you completely clean a HD for use. Also when I opened "disk free" under kde, I don't see the extended partition or the swap file. However, when I go back to fdisk, I see the 1153mb extended partition.

Re:fdisk/format

hello,
    try the linux version of fdisk (there is a small button to select it durring install) and use it. It is much more flexible and can work with other OS's - unlike the DOS version of fdisk. There is a bit of info on using fdisk here:

http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=33

Some people also like using cfdisk, i don't know much about it but I am sure it is fine.

hth, if not let us know.

oh - BTW - lets keep this the only thread on the subject so as not to confuse people.

Sorry, I can't make sense of your last reply. You mentioned (that there is a small button, use it)?
    After attempting with ms-dos fdisk. I ran linux fdisk from the floppy. Opening fdisk, I select delete partition, and then select the number of the partition to delete. However, when I select it, the warning states that: "cannot delete extended partition in STANDARD mode. I browsed my bios settings, thinking that I remembered that you selected SAFE mode from there.
    The partition type is EXT DOS, if this is any help. I look at the size of the partition 1153mb, and know it's the extended partion installed with linux.
    One option that ms-dos fdisk didn't have was: rewrite MBR.
    This is available in linux fdisk.

I've loaded the OS several times, but I can't remember a "use linux fdisk" button, or anything that resembles that subject. During install you have 1 of 3 selections about partitioning. (1) remove all linux partitions (2) remove all partitions (3) leave existing partitions.
    Are we close to talking about the same area of the install? During one attempt I selected "remove all partitions". Wouldn't this do the same thing as running linux fdisk from the a:drive before loading the OS?

[quote author=gmoncrief link=board=2;threadid=10105;start=0#msg91529 date=1104259309]
    I've loaded the OS several times, but I can't remember a "use linux fdisk" button, or anything that resembles that subject. During install you have 1 of 3 selections about partitioning. (1) remove all linux partitions (2) remove all partitions (3) leave existing partitions.
    Are we close to talking about the same area of the install? During one attempt I selected "remove all partitions". Wouldn't this do the same thing as running linux fdisk from the a:drive before loading the OS?
    [/quote]
    Remove All Partitions should do it. Have you tried it?

hello,
    i forgot to mention - when the installer starts select expert or advanced mode. the option for fdisk should be there then.

Yes I tried "remove all partitions, as I mentioned before. The extended partition with linux seems to hang around.

Maybe that's why I was lost on your earlier post. No I haven't tried an install with expert mode. I'm not sitting in front of that machine at the minute. So I won't know untill tonight. I'll respond tommorrow.
    The other question I asked about was MBR. The linux fdisk had an option regarding reloading the MBR, is this of any help, or stay away from making changes in this area?

hello,
    there should not be any need to do anything with the MBR option. This will be done durring the install.
    cheers,
    paul

Hello Paul,
    I recieved a post from "cloverm" and they mentioned using the expert mode during installation. Once I started the install, I opened the fdisk portion. Starting with 7 partitions, I started to delete them in desending order. The first 3 were removed, but the remaining 4 had a warning statement, saying that they were "empty". So I was unable to remove these. At that point I backed out of fdisk and continued with the install. I selected "remove all partitions and continued.I believe that it was successful after viewing the Detailed System Information page. This is the highlights of that page.
    MountPoint / Device /dev/hda2 file type ext3
    57174 mb , 51077 free (53982 superuser)
    10% full

MountPoint /proc Device none file type proc
    No information on this file system.

MountPoint /proc/bus/usb Device usbdevfs file type usbdevfs

MountPoint /boot Device /dev/hda1 file type ext3
    45mb 32 free (35 superuser)
    27% full

MountPoint /dev/pts Device none file type devpts

MountPoint /dev/shm Device none file type tmpfs
    124mb 124 free (124 superuser)

MountPoint /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc Device none filetype
    binfmt_misc
    No information on this filesystem.

After the install I rebooted from the A: and used linux fdisk. The summary is below.
    1 -- 0 5 47mb a linux file sys
    2 -- 6 1023 58086.5 n linux file sys
    3 -- 1023 1023 509.8 n linux file sys

Again I created 3 user during the install, root, dailyuser and internetuser. I did check the "install everything" box during package installation.

Does this look ok. Do you see any problems? Anything missing.

hello,
    it would be nice if there were a /home and a / partition - but that will qork nicely for installing everytung because it is at / - the root directory. you will definatley not run out of room any time soon.