Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asia Quake's Tsunamis Kill Nearly 11,800

Re:Asia Quake's Tsunamis Kill Nearly 22,000

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=14;threadid=10100;start=0#msg91515 date=1104211420]
    Actually, there was no warning system in place for Indian Ocean area. So when Tsunami warning from Pacific detected the posibility, they issued warning to member countries but unfortunately India and Sri Lanka were not part of that.

But given the situaration, I doubt even an warning will be much useful since many areas hit by it are low laying ocean front villages with little or no communication systems in place. But places like Thailand would make a difference but they also have little time to issue warnings.

Sad ... :'(
    [/quote]
    Sad , and it was preventable to some extent.
    Some of those people in the region had radios. Also, for those that did not have one, there is a good chance that a nearby neighbor or a store had it and if they had found out about the tsunami wave, they could have definitely brought thousands of people inland far enough to be saved. A lot of people from one of the smaller cities in Sri Lanka were killed as they were shopping at a farmers' market, and at those markets, one would always find at least one radio on.

Re:Asia Quake's Tsunamis Kill Nearly 11,800

As of today I live in the country whos government have given the most per citizen to the victims of the tsunami, and on Saterday there's a national collection.

Please follow suit.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=14;threadid=10100;start=0#msg91641 date=1104782916]
    As of today I live in the country whos government have given the most per citizen to the victims of the tsunami, and on Saterday there's a national collection.

Please follow suit.

[/quote]

well i did.

Mentor

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=14;threadid=10100;start=0#msg91641 date=1104782916]

[/quote]

really? some how i dont think so.....

[quote author=boblucci link=board=14;threadid=10100;start=0#msg91646 date=1104809229]
    [/quote]
    really? some how i dont think so.....
    [/quote]

You are welcome to check the numbers.

Please follow suit.

[/quote]

Does that count just currency? Or are you also counting manpower and equipment. Because in the news, I see alot of US military cargo and soldiers doing something over there. That's hard to put numbers to until after the fact I think.

How much did you personally give? I plan on giving about $100 US, not much - but it helps.

Mentor

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=14;threadid=10100;start=0#msg91651 date=1104840719]

[/quote]

i did and your right denamrk did give money, but did they send people over there to help with the relief effort?
    Did they send troops over there to distribute the cargo ships filled with supplies to rebulid the country?
    Did they send helicopters there the get supplies out to the areas you cant get to on foot?

or did they just send money?

i wouldnt be bragging about just sending money.....

We send a field hospital, lots of equipment for cleaning water, transport vehicles and a ship. I dunno how much personal is going into action yet. Nor have I gotten any count on the private donations

-edit-

On a sidenote, my neighboring country Sweden has just hit 60 million USD in private donations- way to go sweden, that's in addition to the 80 million their government gave. Sweden of the nordic countries was especially hard hit with so far I think they are missing 2300 to 2900 people so they really banded together and gave till it hurt.

The largest single government contributors remain Japan at 500 million and the US at 350 Million (plus 120 million in private donations, in addition to 12,600 personnel, 21 ships, 14 cargo planes and 48 helicopters )

The World bank has given 250 million.

Indian has contributed at least 16,000 troops, 32 navy ships, 41 aircraft including at least 16 helicopters, several medical teams and a mobile hospital.

And the list goes on and on.. But a special mention should go to the Russian city of Beslan who have given 36.000 dollars from their fund which was set up to aid following the hostage taking. That warms my heart, even in a situation of need and desperation they find it in themselves to give.

Personally I don't really have a count on what I've given, we tend to empty our pockets when ever we see a collection box and have switched to buying from stores that give a part of their proift as aid. We are also talking about taking the money we were saving to buy a new bed and donating that.

[quote author=boblucci link=board=14;threadid=10100;start=0#msg91653 date=1104849067]
    [quote author=Lovechild link=board=14;threadid=10100;start=0#msg91651 date=1104840719]

[/quote]

i did and your right denamrk did give money, but did they send people over there to help with the relief effort?
    Did they send troops over there to distribute the cargo ships filled with supplies to rebulid the country?
    Did they send helicopters there the get supplies out to the areas you cant get to on foot?

or did they just send money?

i wouldnt be bragging about just sending money.....
    [/quote]

Guys, it's not a competition. Any form of aid is good and people shouldn't be shot down for being proud that their country donated more than its share...unless that inspires you to give more in order to contribute to topping said country, in which case competition is good. Most of all it's about giving what you can afford in whatever form you can...all kinds of aid are needed right now.

It's not even about that. It's how this thread got steered away from the subject, by someone, who shall remain obvious, to try pointing out what this individual perceives as Americans' shortcomings. It's a constant theme, and quite frankly it has become tiresome.