Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asia Quake's Tsunamis Kill Nearly 11,800

Mentor

Asia Quake's Tsunamis Kill Nearly 11,800

This must be the worst disaster I've ever heard of. Way beyond what I can comprehend.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=361753

Re:Asia Quake's Tsunamis Kill Nearly 11,800

Death toll is now estimated topping 21, 000... horrible, absolutely horrible thing... the lines that always catch me are about people who witness others swept away or things like that.

The thing I related to most... or just made my breath catch was the description of tourists drowning inside their hotel rooms on the coast... so much worse for those who have to live not only with the memory of this trauma but with the scars that will be upon their families and homelands.

shit happens.

no one saw this coming in advance? i find that hard to believe

Mentor

[quote author=coltrane link=board=14;threadid=10100;start=#msg91495 date=1104168638]
    no one saw this coming in advance? i find that hard to believe
    [/quote]
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5504116.html

:'(

" But there was no official alert system in the region because such catastrophes only happen there about once every 700 years"

IMO it doesn't matter if it happens evey 700 years they should still have it...look how many people died. This could have been prevented but they decided to take a chance and look WTF happend :'(

Kind Mastermind

Most of the region is populated by people who would likely have been too poor to uproot themselves and their families even if they were warned (wow, what a long, runon sentence!). The economic realities would have been so crushing that to lose even one day of work might have set their families back for weeks. Hopefully the US will take a little time off from our warring to go and help these people out. One can hope.

Cheers

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=14;threadid=10100;start=0#msg91503 date=1104183780]
    Most of the region is populated by people who would likely have been too poor to uproot themselves and their families even if they were warned (wow, what a long, runon sentence!). The economic realities would have been so crushing that to lose even one day of work might have set their families back for weeks. Hopefully the US will take a little time off from our warring to go and help these people out. One can hope.

Cheers
    [/quote]

Agreed. Also, these regions (or atleast India and Sri Lanka to some extent) have great technology in the country. But the south eastern coast (where the tsunami mainly hit) are not so rich states. I'm talking about the technology here because CNN and other News channels have said this is to be a lack of communication and other nonsense. Truth is that the news of the tsunami was unknown until the dawn broke and people started going to work. Many lives were saved in the states of Tamilnadu, Kerala (southern India). But the lives taken were only those that could not have been prevented.

[Oh - yeah, I know about this cause I'm from India. ]

According to the NBC nightly news today the (international?) agency that could have given advanced warning decided not to due to the fact they don't have a warning system. IMHO they should have given warning anyways since it could do nothing but help.

Good Guru

Re:Asia Quake's Tsunamis Kill Nearly 22,000

Actually, there was no warning system in place for Indian Ocean area. So when Tsunami warning from Pacific detected the posibility, they issued warning to member countries but unfortunately India and Sri Lanka were not part of that.

But given the situaration, I doubt even an warning will be much useful since many areas hit by it are low laying ocean front villages with little or no communication systems in place. But places like Thailand would make a difference but they also have little time to issue warnings.

Sad ... :'(