Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Mandrake installation problem - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mandrake installation problem

Re:Mandrake installation problem

Pico comes in the pine package.

[quote author=tedh link=board=1;threadid=10075;start=0#msg91567 date=1104433009]
    It just says no package named nano
    - same for pico
    [/quote]

Sorry, I haven't used Mandrake in a year or so, and I just tested it back then. But I've seen around the net that there is a nano rpm on one of the cds. So, try, 'urpmi --auto-select nano' again as root, it should ask you for the cds. If not, then just download the rpm from here:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat....i586.rpm.html

and do (as root):

Code:
    rpm -Uvh nano-1.0.4-1mdk.i586.rpm
    Then,edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Associate

The urpmi didn't work. I've downloaded the rpm but where do I put it and how? I put it on a floppy but get "open of nano-1.... failed: No such file or directory.

[quote author=tedh link=board=1;threadid=10075;start=0#msg91570 date=1104437253]
    The urpmi didn't work. I've downloaded the rpm but where do I put it and how? I put it on a floppy but get "open of nano-1.... failed: No such file or directory.
    [/quote]

You downloaded the RPm to your mandrake hard disk right ? So, then, go to the directory where you downloaded the rpm using cd. Then issue:

rpm -Uvh nano-*.rpm

Associate

I downloaded the rpm on another computer. Mandrake is installed on its own hard disk and doesn't have an internet connection yet.

[quote author=tedh link=board=1;threadid=10075;start=0#msg91573 date=1104439753]
    I downloaded the rpm on another computer. Mandrake is installed on its own hard disk and doesn't have an internet connection yet.
    [/quote]

Some other text editors which may be on your machine are: emacs, jed, joe (a favorite of mine because it uses the old WordStar command set). One of these should serve your needs as far as editing your configuration files, as they all save in pure Unix text format by default.

I'm not sure that what you have is a video problem, though.

Quoting your original post:

I've installed mandrake10.1 but instead of booting up fully it stops and asks for a login. I do this and it logs me in but goes no further. If I type startx it says 'failed to load module"vgahw" (module does not exist,0) screens found, but none have a usable confoguration. Can anyone help I am a really new newbie!
    Now some questions:

1.) Did you perform this install from CD, Hard Disk, NFS, FTP, or using CD and boot floppies?

2.) Are you using LILO or GRUB to boot into Mandrake? If you are, you should see that Mandrake configures several options, one being a 'failsafe'. Try that, and if X comes up, use the XFDrake tool to reconfigure X for your hardware.

3.) Did you configure X during the install or just accept the defaults as Mandrake presented them? If you didn't look over your options during install, the proper hardware drivers may not have been installed to support X.

{I just happen to be running Mandrake 10 Official at the moment, and I just had a look at my /etc/X11/XF86Config file... not much to see there. Apparently Mandrake does something to automate this file's creation with a tool called XFDrake. The standard command line tool that does this is called (oddly enough) xf86config, and is usually accessible from root only (use su or sudo to get a root shell from your normal login as opposed to logging in as root, though... that 's the way to go.) Be ready with all the facts about your video hardware before you do this... most importantly, you need to know your monitor's horizontal and vertical frequencies, because if you overdrive it, your monitor could literally fry. xf86config takes you a step at at time, and is kind of unforgiving, so if you screw up, pay attention to the last question where it asks you if you want to overwrite your existing file... don't do it if you've made a mistake earlier on, just dump out and start over.}

4.) I'm just presuming from what you said that the system is dropping out to a shell prompt (not starting X) and this is where you are logging in? If so, look in the file /etc/inittab. Under the default runlevel section, the comments explain that you need to be set to runlevel 5 to automatically boot to X. Perhaps you need to set this and be ready to get to a virtual console if something goes wrong?

{to get a virtual console from X, use ctrl-alt-F1, and to get back use ctrl-alt-F7}

Well, that's all I can think of to get you started. I'll keep an eye on this thread and see how it's going for you.

Later On,
    Dave

Associate

Many thanks for all that.
    1- I installed from cd's.
    2-I tried failsafe but it made no difference.
    3 I have reconfigured using xf86config but still get the same message. I am fairly sure it's configured the same as shebang's now. I wonder if horus is right and it's not a video problem?
    4 Yes that's where I get to. I don't know how to look in file you mention.
    I am going travelling for a week or so now so will pick this up when I come back, thanks for the help so far.

What does `lsmod | grep 'vgahw'` output? If the output is nothing (meaning it simply returns to the command prompt), then type `modprobe vgahw` and see what that outputs. If the output is nothing for this one as well, then repeat `lsmod | grep 'vgahw'` and see if you get any output this time. If you do recieve an output, then try starting X.

Associate

I just get "-bash: Ismod: command not found"

[quote author=tedh link=board=1;threadid=10075;start=0#msg91601 date=1104529472]
    I just get "-bash: Ismod: command not found"
    [/quote]

You need to be root for that..