Thread: Cannot start X

Cannot start X

Hello:
    I installed Fedora Core3 with default values/parameters and with an IBM monitor. I no longer have access to that monitor and have switched to a Seanix KM-411 model monitor. With the IBM monitor everything was running fine. Now, I can work in console mode but not in GUI. How do I configure X without having to edit config files? I mean, is there a console utility that will allow me to configure X?

:'(

Re:Cannot start X

Fedora Core 3 uses xorg-x11. So the command would be:

xorgconfig

If that doesn't work, can you provide some additional information? What happens when you try to start X? Does it give any error message, or does it just look strange? Take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Does it contain any errors (search for lines that begin with "(EE)"...that indicates an error)? If so, what are they?

hello shebang:
    I tried xorgconfig and got:: -bash: xorgconfig: command not found.

Actually, I had already tried xorgconfig, xfree86config, xconfigurator, linuxconf...

I know that commands are also case sensitive, so how do you spell xorgconfig?

To answer Tyr_7BE, "no screens found" is the message I get. And there are no error lines in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Since I have set the system to start with X automatically, it tries to load X and comes back with a window saying it has problems loading X, and if it should try loading the config utility. When I say, Yes, it tries to load Vesa mode, and then the screen goes all kaleidscopy! At this point I have to hard boot the system. And when I get to a console screen and login as root and then run "startx", the message is "no screens found". The error is:X10: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X Server:"0:0"

Thanks to both of you for your responses so far.

you need to run the command as root. Try the following:

Code:
    su
    then

Code:
    /sbin/xorgconfig

Hello Trickster:
    I get the message: no such file or directory

Try `whereis xorgcfg' should be something like /usr/X11R6/bin/xorgcfg. If all goes well run `xorgcfg -textmode' and edit your xorg.conf from there.

Good luck.

Hello Cassius:
    I think something must have gone wrong...I don't get any response for the "whereis" command. Meaning it seems as though there is no such file...
    Can I re-install X from the original Core 3 CD? Could you please give me some instructions?

Sounds like X isn't fully installed, or at least the configuration tools weren't installed. I would love to help you but unfortunately I haven't ran fedora in a long time, you can probably use up2date or some other installation tool to install X though.

Any fedora users around, that are willing to lend your expertise here?