I've been trying to get my modem to work with help from the networking board. Somehow I've managed to do something -- when I log on as root I go directly to yast (do not pass go, do not collect $200 :P). My user login takes me to Kde, but root only goes to yast, full screen. yast appears to be functioning fine here, but my only option to get out of it is to select "close", which logs me out. I know this is a ridiculous thing to have happened, and I've done something I shouldn't have, and I've looked for help but apparently this is such a stupid thing that I may be the newest newbie ever before seen by the linux community and noone has managed to pull this trick. I hope there's a simple trick but at this point I have no idea where to even begin to look for the answer.

As a note, I'm running 9.1 on a laptop I bought used with the distro already installed, so I have no CDs or other fancy gadgets. I'm thinking maybe I should just purchase a new, latest-greatest distro (thinking Mandrake) and start over. But I've had so much trouble so far that I'm afraid I won't be able to install it!

Is there a board specifically for idiot frustrated newbies?