Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion to any interested : New forum for common issues

Re:Suggestion to any interested : New forum for common issues

[quote author=Schotty link=board=18;threadid=10017;start=0#msg91230 date=1103165211]
    That is pretty much what I was getting at in the end. I think that makes life a bit easier for looking for distro specific help.
    [/quote]

So.... are we going to do it ?

Good Guru

Good question.

Cloverm, any insight?

Mentor

If I understand correctly the idea here is to create subforums for some major distros within the Distributions forum. I support the idea in theory, but there are some technical issues. The YaBB code that we are using here does not support forums within a forum. So I don't know how to achieve this without major code hacking.

Good Guru

Well, howabout this :

Create another section like how we have the Technical, LJR, and General ones, for Distro Specific. Then have the major ones listed and as requests arrive add more. That is what I was thinking.

Mentor

[quote author=Schotty link=board=18;threadid=10017;start=#msg91246 date=1103220121]
    Well, howabout this :

Create another section like how we have the Technical, LJR, and General ones, for Distro Specific. Then have the major ones listed and as requests arrive add more. That is what I was thinking.
    [/quote]

The only problem I see with that is that the already long list of boards will get even longer. But if you guys think it's worth it, I'll work on it.

Mentor

[quote author=cloverm link=board=18;threadid=10017;start=0#msg91245 date=1103217231]
    If I understand correctly the idea here is to create subforums for some major distros within the Distributions forum. I support the idea in theory, but there are some technical issues. The YaBB code that we are using here does not support forums within a forum. So I don't know how to achieve this without major code hacking.

[/quote]

Now that you say this, i kind of remember going thru this a while ago and it was shot down for the same reason.......

You could always upgrade to SMF, the successor to YaBBSE. It is in RC2 right now and the next move, from what I can tell, is full release.

Mentor

[quote author=Izan Seth link=board=18;threadid=10017;start=#msg91263 date=1103290249]
    You could always upgrade to SMF, the successor to YaBBSE. It is in RC2 right now and the next move, from what I can tell, is full release.
    [/quote]

Cool, I did not know about SMF. I will keep an eye for the final version and will attempt an upgrade.

Good Guru

[quote author=cloverm link=board=18;threadid=10017;start=0#msg91247 date=1103224848]
    The only problem I see with that is that the already long list of boards will get even longer.
    [/quote]
    Yeah, this is not a good way. Unless YABB2 supports a forum within a forum, I guess it may be time to move on to some other forum software. I know for a fact that PostNuke support this.

I know LinuxOrbit do this way as well., They have specific distro problem help within distribution forum.

Good Guru

[quote author=cloverm link=board=18;threadid=10017;start=0#msg91247 date=1103224848]
    The only problem I see with that is that the already long list of boards will get even longer. But if you guys think it's worth it, I'll work on it.
    [/quote]

Yeah, but only if there is that much demand.

I see only about six or seven:

Fedora
    Mandrake
    SuSE
    Slackware
    Debian
    Ubuntu
    Linux From Scratch
    FreeBSD (I had to throw that one in there ;D )

I mean are there really any other uber-poular ones? I dont think that a section for whitebox, RHEL, Knoppix, or Peanut are really warranted since there is no need (whitebox/RHEL == Fedora almost) or has no fanbase to substantiate finding a maintainer and soforth.

I would be supised to see more than 10. Very suprised. I know more people that run Fedora or Mandrake only because it worked for a buddy really well and they want to have something like them for tech support reasons.