Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emachines

Re:Emachines

Well, for all technical purposes, I'm getting the AMD! Thanks all!

Good Guru

[quote author=Dswissmiss link=board=14;threadid=10011;start=0#msg90799 date=1101421853]
    after a few years at pcmech.com (a computer building website), I've never heard anything good about emachines, and people are always advised to stay away from them.[/quote]
    If you are tinkering kind, you've made the wrong choice. Those low cost PCs were never intended for those who continually upgrade even if it's from HP, Dell or IBM. Most low cost PCs comes everying integrated ( LAN, Modem, VGA ). Some even have shared-VGA memory offloading all those functions to CPU and a few other chips instead of having separate chips for different functions. The advantage with it is that you've got yourself a whole lot of functions with lower price and decent speed (due to integration) but speed will likely suffer when computer is loaded with memory intensive programs.
    It's definitely good for those who barely used their computers more than a few tasks. Majority of PC users only do office, email, occational web surfing and that's it. So for those, the price is very nice break for them.

It all depends on what kind of tasks you are planning to do. If you are upgrading kind, stay away from all those integrated kind.

This was a while ago though, and as stryder144 mentioned, they have been bought out by Gateway, so maybe their quality has become better. I would still suggest however to look into building your own pc. You can still use cheaper parts, but also have the option of continually upgrading in the future.

Good Guru

[quote author=Shebang link=board=14;threadid=10011;start=0#msg90785 date=1101396722]
    http://www.krex.com/PPmain.asp?IC=3361&msk=PD , which I was going to get today.
    [/quote]
    According to their site, all is integrated. LAN, VGA ( there they says built-ins, not cards ). So most likely it's shared-VGA kinda deal as well.

But you know, you can always disable them later and upgrade if needed.

Yeah - Thanks Compunuts!

I'm indeed now running the AMD 2800+ and I bought after I asked the vendor all the questions I needed to ask (gained the info from here) and then decided to buy it because he said everything on this box is upgradable except the CPU. So If I wanted to upgrade the CPU, then I'd need a different motherboard. Well, since I don't plan to upgrade the cpu anytime soon, I bought it.

Once again, you guys helped me a lot! Thanks for all your suggestions!

Sincerely,
    Shebang