Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Networking Windows 98 and Linux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Networking Windows 98 and Linux

Associate

Networking Windows 98 and Linux

Ugh, I've just spent six hours trying to network Windows 98 and Linux. I don't even want to share one machines Internet access or anything... all I need is to bind both computers together and use the TCP/IP protocol so I can shell into the Linux computer from this Windows box. I plan to use the Linux box as a dedicated programming machine (apache, cvs server, sshd, etc.), plus to do the odd scheduled task. It'll be cool having a little bitch for this computer.

I've installed Slackware Linux 9.0 on it. I've installed my network card and edited rc.modules to dynamically bind it (it's a 3Com Etherlink III). I've created a file named rc.init1.conf in /etc/rc.d and entered the following information:

---

IPADDR="192.168.0.2"
    NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
    USE_DHCP=""
    DHCP_HOSTNAME=""

GATEWAY="192.168.0.1"

DEBUG_ETH_UP="no"

---

Now on my Windows 98 box I've binded the TCP/IP protocol and NetBeui protocol to the ethernet card (I just realized it's a 3Com Etherlink III as well! ). I've assigned the IP '192.168.0.1' to the ethernet card, and set the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0.

Now, I've restarted both many times but when I ping the other machine from either machine, both claim the host in unreachable.

So what's going on here? Should I use DHCP or something? What can I do?

Thank you.
    - Dustin

Re:Networking Windows 98 and Linux

on the linux box run mii-tool

Is your link down? Are you using a patch cable or a cross over cable?

Good Guru

Yeah, we need more information.

How is your network setup? Using HUB with patch cable? Direct link using crossover cable?

[quote author=HearWa link=board=1;threadid=9997;start=0#msg90673 date=1100990457]
    I've installed Slackware Linux 9.0 on it. I've installed my network card and edited rc.modules to dynamically bind it (it's a 3Com Etherlink III).[/quote]
    Is your Etherlink III a PCI or ISA card? If it's ISA card, then you will need to set IRQ and IO manually. If PCI, it can do it automatically.

IPADDR="192.168.0.2"
    NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
    USE_DHCP=""
    DHCP_HOSTNAME=""

GATEWAY="192.168.0.1"

DEBUG_ETH_UP="no"
    First, try to ping your loopback device which is 127.0.0.1. If it comes back with reply, then your network card is okay. Then try to ping the IP of the box itself. If it pings okay, then your networking setting are good. Only then, try to ping another box.

Now, I've restarted both many times
    Well, Windows you need to restart it. In Linux, all you do is "ifdown eth0" and then "ifup eth0". That is like restarting your networking module.

So what's going on here? Should I use DHCP or something?
    Nope. DHCP is more complicated. If your network is small ( less than 10 boxes ) then you are better off using static IPs and stick with hosts file.

What can I do?
    Lay out your whole network. Tell us what setting are there and all that stuff.

Associate

Thanks for the replies, they're appreciated!

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=1;threadid=9997;start=0#msg90679 date=1101010794]
    Yeah, we need more information.

How is your network setup? Using HUB with patch cable? Direct link using crossover cable?[/quote]
    I'm using a direct link crossover (that I bought at the Dollorama for $3.00) to network the two computers together.

[quote author=HearWa link=board=1;threadid=9997;start=0#msg90673 date=1100990457]
    I've installed Slackware Linux 9.0 on it. I've installed my network card and edited rc.modules to dynamically bind it (it's a 3Com Etherlink III).
    Is your Etherlink III a PCI or ISA card? If it's ISA card, then you will need to set IRQ and IO manually. If PCI, it can do it automatically.
    [/quote]
    Both are "in ISA mode." Doesn't modprobe set up the IRQ and IO addresses for you automagically?

IPADDR="192.168.0.2"
    NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
    USE_DHCP=""
    DHCP_HOSTNAME=""

GATEWAY="192.168.0.1"

DEBUG_ETH_UP="no"
    First, try to ping your loopback device which is 127.0.0.1. If it comes back with reply, then your network card is okay. Then try to ping the IP of the box itself. If it pings okay, then your networking setting are good. Only then, try to ping another box.
    They both can ping their loopback address perfectly.

Now, I've restarted both many times
    Well, Windows you need to restart it. In Linux, all you do is "ifdown eth0" and then "ifup eth0". That is like restarting your networking module.
    Ah, thanks.

So what's going on here? Should I use DHCP or something?
    Nope. DHCP is more complicated. If your network is small ( less than 10 boxes ) then you are better off using static IPs and stick with hosts file.
    Considering it's only the two ( may use the box in the basement as a router later on, but that's another time) I was hoping to be able to figure this out on my own.

What can I do?
    Lay out your whole network. Tell us what setting are there and all that stuff.
    Ok. This computer is hooked to the second by a crossover cable. Both are using the same ethernet card (3Com Etherlink III).

Thanks for your help!

Gorn: Since I could ping the loopback device on the Linux box I assumed the link was setup. Am I correct in thinking this?

Good Guru

[quote author=HearWa link=board=1;threadid=9997;start=0#msg90684 date=1101032143]
    I'm using a direct link crossover (that I bought at the Dollorama for $3.00) to network the two computers together.
    [/quote]
    Well, just make sure they are crossover cable and NOT patch cable. Other than that, you are fine then.

Both are "in ISA mode." Doesn't modprobe set up the IRQ and IO addresses for you automagically?
    [/quote]Yes and No. modprobe should and could depending on your NIC card. With my experience of Etherlink III ISA cards goes, you can't set IRQ and IO automatically. You need to set them via DOS disk. So the easier would be to tell your networking modules to load the set IRQ and IO (darn, I can't seem to find the link for setting up wtih Red Hat 6.0, there they laid out clearly). IIRC, it's IRQ=10 and io=0x330 or 320.
    They both can ping their loopback address perfectly.
    What about their own IP addresses?
    I was hoping to be able to figure this out on my own.
    It doesn't matter how many boxes you are setting up. As long as you have the correct procedures and setting in place, seeing each other is the key. I've seen a large network with more than 100 boxes uses manual IPs and it worked great (when it works). The only thing is not to have smart-ass users who will change all your settings. ;D . But with DHCP common now adays, it's better if you have large network.
    Since I could ping the loopback device on the Linux box I assumed the link was setup. Am I correct in thinking this?
    Not really. If you can ping the loopback device, that means that your computer sees the NIC card. It doesn't matter whether you have correct network settings or not (since loopback is setup by your networking software on your box). Loopback only tells that you have setup the driver okay and that it can communicate with the hardware.
    When you can ping the IP that you set up on your box, that tells that the box was able to go through the NIC card up until it hits the jack. Even then, it's not 100%. I've seeen some NIC cards that will hit its own IP but can't go out due to that it is using the wrong device driver module. So yeah but it helps to isolate where your problem lies.

HTH ...

Good Guru

Did you get it working? Let us know.

Associate

Well, I'm really not sure if I have a patch cable or a cross-over cable... :-X

The Dollorama only sells cross-over cables, IIRC.
    If you think it's a cable problem, I can give you one tomorrow.

Good Guru

Wow .. dont' know about your area but at my local shop, 99% is patch cables (all kinds of color) and only yellows are crossover cables.

Associate

I should of RTMF before I bought the cable, but oh well, it's only $3.00 lost. I'm still not sure if it's a cross over or a patch, but here's what the cable says:

cat53 udp type cm 241wg

It's made by Anhui Leader Electronics and here's the closest site online I can find that's selling something even remotely close to the description I've given you: http://www.alibaba.com/productsearch/Data_Cable.html

But don't bother looking. Stuart, perhaps I can get a cable from you Monday? I need a long cable so you'll get it back after I get everything running and buy a longer one.

Thanks everyone, I'll get back with you!