Thread: Arch Linux

Advisor

Arch Linux

I just installed Arch Linux and am pretty impressed, good package management, up to date, but without the compile times of gentoo. I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried it out and am curious what their opinions were.

Re:Arch Linux

I found Arch to be quite decent, but a tad unstable since they don't have enough developers and lack QA on their packages, and it lacked a few packages that I needed so I had to learn abs, which is by far the best bit about Arch.

I had it installed on my 40gb hard drive that crashed on me earlier this year. It is a pretty good distro. I haven't installed it lately.

Re:Arch Linux password crash

Has anyone experienced a password issues with “Arch Linux?” I installed it and change the root password and user password via “passwd” and now I’m locked out. The web server is still running; however is there a way to get around the password and fix the problem?

Thanks,
    -j2d

boot the machine into single user mode.

at grub press e and add single to the kernel line at the very end, then press enter and then b to boot - that gives you a root prompt from which to run passwd again.

Thanks, LoveChild

I got my password back.
    That is a good thing to remember.

-j2d

single user mode is a life saver, I used to forget the step where you set the root password in the Gentoo install and it would randomize it.

I still use this OS...I don't think I'll ever stop. I used to be a huge slackware nut...but not since I started playing with Arch
    You can't beat the package management, and as far as limited packages...what they don't have to pacman, download the source and compile...there won't be much of that going on that's for sure.

[quote author=jbsnake link=board=7;threadid=9996;start=0#msg93803 date=1115005793]
    I still use this OS...I don't think I'll ever stop. I used to be a huge slackware nut...but not since I started playing with Arch
    You can't beat the package management, and as far as limited packages...what they don't have to pacman, download the source and compile...there won't be much of that going on that's for sure.
    [/quote]
    I was just looking at an argument between Arch and Gentoo and I run gentoo. It seems arch is picking up rather quickly. It has ~15000 packages and thats awesome. I just wish I could install it because everytime I try it, something or other goes wrong. When it first did not install, I thought it was just a user error but I've gotten all the "hard" distributions to install and I still am not able to recognize whats wrong with teh Arch install process... However, if it reaches 1.0 soon, i definitely plan to try it.