Thread: Online RedHat Magazine Launched.

Hybrid View

Online RedHat Magazine Launched.

RedHat launches their Online Mag (http://www.redhat.com/magazine/), for some reason or other flash is required. :

Re:Online HedRat Magazine Launched.

Better Living Through RPM???
    c'mon now

Re:Online HedRat Magazine Launched.

HedRat -> RedHat in topic

Re:Online RedHat Magazine Launched.

I've been increasingly upset with RedHat's direction on things ....

"RPM (which is a recursive acronym standing for RPM Package Manager)"

Not according to their manuals for the past 3 years ...

Mentor

I installed FC3 just to test it out, after using SuSE 9.2, but I ran back to SuSE after a few hours of wasted time. While SuSE is not without problems, I found FC3 to be a lot less desirable (I don't care for Bluecurve, where is wine, up2date created duplicate packages, etc). My conclusion is that FC3 is just not cloverm-friendly, at least compared to SuSE. But, to each his own ...

why does distros have to ship wine, they release new versions with regular intervals, and it's by no way up to Fedora standards in terms of stability.

if you want it, there are repos that offer it.

Mentor

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=13;threadid=9995;start=#msg90694 date=1101077019]
    why does distros have to ship wine, they release new versions with regular intervals, and it's by no way up to Fedora standards in terms of stability.

if you want it, there are repos that offer it.
    [/quote]

While wine is not without problems - to say the least - it is essential for me to run certain programs, until someone comes out with native Linux versions. So I'm going to choose a distro that fully supports it. Through apt, I've been able to get all the new releases.

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=13;threadid=9995;start=0#msg90690 date=1101074654]
    I've been increasingly upset with RedHat's direction on things ....

"RPM (which is a recursive acronym standing for RPM Package Manager)"

Not according to their manuals for the past 3 years ...
    [/quote]

Actually some of their manuals have been updated, and others will as well. Originally RPM was the Red Hat Package Manager, however since other distributions were using RPM and Red Hat has a trademark on the term 'Red Hat', RPM had to be changed to be the RPM Package Manager. So it does have a dual name and not all documentation has been updated.

Good Guru

[quote author=ender link=board=13;threadid=9995;start=0#msg90764 date=1101336480]
    Originally RPM was the Red Hat Package Manager, however since other distributions were using RPM and Red Hat has a trademark on the term 'Red Hat', RPM had to be changed to be the RPM Package Manager.
    [/quote]
    Really? Hhhmmm ....

I've always thought RPM always means Redhat Package Manager. I didn't know they changed it to something else. After all, it's what Red Hat created anyway.

[quote author=cloverm link=board=13;threadid=9995;start=0#msg90693 date=1101076496]
    I installed FC3 just to test it out, after using SuSE 9.2, but I ran back to SuSE after a few hours of wasted time. While SuSE is not without problems, I found FC3 to be a lot less desirable (I don't care for Bluecurve, where is wine, up2date created duplicate packages, etc). My conclusion is that FC3 is just not cloverm-friendly, at least compared to SuSE. But, to each his own ...
    [/quote]

I've had almost the exact opposite reaction. SUSE is still all about KDE and I can't stand KDE at all. Plus trying to manage SUSE on a higher level is a pain in the ascii. Their autoinstall stuff is just absolute crap and trying to do anything sanely on the system just leaves you in a state that yast can't figure out and therefor breaks half the stuff. I just never have been able to wrap my head around SUSE, and probably never will.