Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Indie Games on Linux

Thread: Indie Games on Linux

Indie Games on Linux

I might be working with an indie developer company on a RPG project in the near future. My question to all of you is, should I take the time to get a Linux port? While there is no plan to have one the engine is compatable with Linux+OpenGL. Do (or would) you by an indie game assuming it had good gameplay?

Re:Indie Games on Linux

In short no. Loki, anyone? Only port if porting is trivial otherwise don't waste your company's resources.

Of course you could always run development on a *nix platform with some of the standard/open libraries such as OpenGL, SDL, Allegro, etc. That would almost insure that your software/game ran on various platforms, for instance Mac, *BSD, GNU/Linux, Solaris, MS, QNX, Handhelds, etc.

Mi dos centavos.

Yes, the engine is Torque which has dev versions for Windows, Linux and Mac. The port would mainly just be recompiling and possibly adding in a few extra libs for it's sounds system (2 static libs maybe).

I would say go for it, and if not a linux client, definately a server. Or is it a offline game?

[quote author=Countach44 link=board=8;threadid=9989;start=0#msg90616 date=1100815159]
    I would say go for it, and if not a linux client, definately a server. Or is it a offline game?
    [/quote]

It's still in it's ear;y stages. AFAIK it is currently offline, but that may not end up being the case.

[quote author=Countach44 link=board=8;threadid=9989;start=0#msg90616 date=1100815159]
    [/quote]

No server only games, please.

[quote author=cassius link=board=8;threadid=9989;start=0#msg90624 date=1100826226]
    [/quote]

No server only games, please.
    [/quote]

Agreed.

I would probably buy one, but that doesn't count in the big picture I guess.

I love RPG games, I especially enjoyed the Baldur's Gate series and Fallout.