Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novell Linux Desktop out..

Novell Linux Desktop out..

Kinda late announcing this, but the fabled NLD is out.

Based on SuSE Linux Enterprise server 9
    features:
    KDE 3.1
    GNOME 2.6
    Lots of Mono stuff like iFolder (really cool btw.)

You can get it here, comes with 30 days free support after that you get no updates apparently, at least not officially from Novell, this is an enterprise product.
    http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/eval.html

I'm downloading as we speak for a quick test but 3 cds on a 512kbit line is horrible, it takes like 3 hours per disc..

Anyone in my area is of course welcome to pm and I'll provide copies, I also have Fedora Core 3 and Ubuntu Linux 4.10 on hand.

Re:Novell Linux Desktop out..

it's dead sexy, that's all I have to say - a great enterprise product, although it does suffer from SuSE sickness in that it installs all kinds of crap like GNOME office when OpenOffice is clearly favored.

That's it. I'm getting yet another box. My desktop is set up just how I like it, my server is all but perfect for my needs, my laptop is happily humming away and quite stable...I need a box I can try out all the latest goodies.

NLD does look ridiculously sexy. It also has great potential for future versions as well. From what I understand it's basically XD3, but with mono integrated into it.

In a CISCO class in Charlotte this week, one of the guys in here is running it on his laptop. Looks great, planning on picking his brain about usabilty and the sort later today. I'll report my findings later...

[quote author=coltrane link=board=7;threadid=9969;start=0#msg90569 date=1100705587]
    In a CISCO class in Charlotte this week, one of the guys in here is running it on his laptop. Looks great, planning on picking his brain about usabilty and the sort later today. I'll report my findings later...
    [/quote]

Please do. I'm serioiusly considering throwing it on my laptop between school terms.

Is it true that the Novell Desktop has a yearly subscription fee?

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=7;threadid=9969;start=0#msg90577 date=1100724184]
    Is it true that the Novell Desktop has a yearly subscription fee?
    [/quote]

You get 30 days free updates, after that you have to pay for access to their updates server.. now they have srpms available, so it would be simple for someone to mimic the setup in a free fasion, perfectly legal.

Anyone know how much subscribtion fees are?

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=7;threadid=9969;start=0#msg90670 date=1100983880]
    Anyone know how much subscribtion fees are?

[/quote]

from novell.com

Novell Linux Desktop 9 for x86 one-device Annual Upgrade Protection e-License $50
    Novell Linux Desktop 9 for x86 one-device Full-term Upgrade Protection e-License $90

I assume one term is till EOL of a given version of NLD.

That thing is ready for primetime

My company now has a Linux Desktop team.....sending my resume to them Monday.....is just released a corporate build that includes Crossover Office. I may have to replace my Suse Laptop with NLD.

Also, if anyone uses Citrix to VPN into their company network, theres a new Linux client avail on the Citrix website....I use it on both my Suse and Ubuntu boxes.