Thread: IE can't display but DNS works ...

Good Guru

IE can't display but DNS works ...

Win XP Home with SP1.

Well, I was trying to fix up my friend's wireless network. IE can't display any web pages with DNS name or IP address. If I do ping with IP and name, it will ping just fine. It will ping any address I throw with such as www.google.com or www.yahoo.com.

So I was thinking it was IE's problem, download Firefox on another box, burn it on CD and installed it. Same behavior. Firefox can't display it either.

So what can you Windows experts suggest for me to try? Thanks.

Re:IE can't display but DNS works ...

If I may add to this, a similar problem? A neighbor has similar problem after installing AOHell software but can't get anything to work. No ping anything, IE displays, Page not found messages.

I tried uninstalling aohell and tried a real ISP and it dials and connects fine. But nothing else seems to work as far as net . She does not have a lan setup but it is a Nic in her Winxp home box.

She said Netzero, which I uninstalled, worked for about a week and then the same problem occurred and she tried using aohell with same results.

Any other ideas?

Thnx.

[quote author=Saptech link=board=25;threadid=9943;start=0#msg90126 date=1099294410]
    If I may add to this, a similar problem? A neighbor has similar problem after installing AOHell software but can't get anything to work. No ping anything, IE displays, Page not found messages.

I tried uninstalling aohell and tried a real ISP and it dials and connects fine. But nothing else seems to work as far as net . She does not have a lan setup but it is a Nic in her Winxp home box.

She said Netzero, which I uninstalled, worked for about a week and then the same problem occurred and she tried using aohell with same results.

Any other ideas?

Thnx.

[/quote]
    I have encountered that twice. I've fixed it by reinstalling the TCP/IP components.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

I would say that if tricksters solution doesn't work that you might want to go into the Tools -> Internet Options dialog and have a look at the Connections tab and see if anything is funny there, may be an AOL proxy setting or something else to do with the connection?

Thnx. I'll look into it and see what happens.

Good Guru

Several problem with the box I'm working on.

1. WinXP has automatic MTU setting so you can't change it. (supposely) WinXP will auto detect your connection speed and will set MTU automagically.

2. My friend has cleaned up roll back stuff that it can't be recalled.

3. He used AOHell. Since I expected AOHell to screw things up (his box was running slow since then), I just reload the XP. (one thump up to Dell for including full copy of XP instead of those restore CD stuff).

Yeah, as usual, problem solved after reinstalling.

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=25;threadid=9943;start=0#msg90139 date=1099371803]
    Several problem with the box I'm working on.

1. WinXP has automatic MTU setting so you can't change it. (supposely) WinXP will auto detect your connection speed and will set MTU automagically.[/quote]

Change MTU Windows XP

Good Guru

[quote author=trickster link=board=25;threadid=9943;start=0#msg90150 date=1099401862]
    Change MTU Windows XP
    [/quote]
    According to this article from MS knowledge base, the MTU settings are automatic. MTU changes are only allowed for XP PRO but not XP Home which is what it is installed.

Anyway, Clean installed from AOHell infested box solved the problem.

Same here, she had to use her restore disc and a clean install with everything working.

Thnx for the help..