Thread: Box won't start up ...

Good Guru

Box won't start up ...

I don't know where to put this so I will put it here since this box is running windows.

My brother-in-law's computer is acting up lately. When he brought them over, it says something about missing sysconfig something. So I told him to leave it and I will load Win2K on it for him.

Today I tried to start up, no go. Power gets on. No POST. I shut it down, cold cycle power ( PSU has a switch on it ), tried again. This time, it did POST, start a blicker and just sits there and blink.. blink ... blinks.

So, I went out to hardware store and bought a new 256 MB stick RAM. Put it in, same result. I switched HDD, same. HDD cable, remove all accessories like LAN and modem. Same. I tried to boot up with Debian disks and Novell disks which has memory test utility ( which are known good CDs that I just tried on another box ), no go.

Now, all I have to switch is PSU, CPU and MB. And those are the ones I don not have extra. Before I went out and buy this stuff ( especially the CPU since it wouldn't be returnable if used ), I would like to have your suggestions on what it might cause it.

1. If the computer gets its power without a hipcup ( from power on to after POST ), could this be the PSU problem?

2. Would flashing of ROM will help? Last time he told me that he got a virus and since then, it's acting like this. BUT a flash ROM can cause it to prevent OS loading?

3. Could this more likely be CPU problem since it had nothing to do with computer being POST ( and display on the monitor ), but could not load after that? If I need to have another CU, then I rather get a brand new CPU/MB combo and that would almost be the same price as getting this Duron 1 GHz.

What do you guys think? TIA.

Re:Box won't start up ...

Does it actually post, after you left only mb, memory, cpu and hard drive?

Try removing the battery of the mb for half an hour or so, or look on the manufacturer's site on how to reset the bios to factory defaults.

Can you try the psu of your own computer on it?

If it won't post after changing psu, then it is either mb or cpu.

I agree you can probably get a low-end cpu/mb combo for less than $100.

Good Guru

[quote author=trickster link=board=25;threadid=9922;start=0#msg89903 date=1098626619]
    Does it actually post, after you left only mb, memory, cpu and hard drive?
    [/quote]
    Yes.
    Try removing the battery of the mb for half an hour or so, or look on the manufacturer's site on how to reset the bios to factory defaults.
    Yeap, tried that several time also.
    Can you try the psu of your own computer on it?
    Yeah, I need to try that. The problem is I don't have ATX PSU. All my PSUs are AT type ( or some I can't really seem to find them when I need them ). But I doubt that AC current instability is holding OS loading. I mean, it would shut down intermittently or such but it won't hold back OS loading. Even if I tried to load pure DOS 6.22 on it, it won't even read Floppy. The Floppy light will lit up but hand right there.
    Nonetheless, I'm going to switch the PSU and see how it goes.
    If it won't post after changing psu, then it is either mb or cpu.
    I'm really thinking the culpit as FlashROM. The virus may somehow got into the EEPROM and render it from loading any software other than lowlevel BIOS POST. It seem even onborad cache are not loadable.
    I agree you can probably get a low-end cpu/mb combo for less than $100.
    Either above or the CPU/MB is screwed.

On the side note, if I get a BIOS chip with the same spec from SOYO ( which is the MFG of this board), will it work?

TIA ...

It might, if the culprit is actually the mb. Have you tried updating the bios, or reinstalling (forcing) the latest version on it?

There is a linux boot disk that has a memory tester. Might want to give that a chance.

Also, have you checked the jumper settings on the drives?

Good Guru

[quote author=trickster link=board=25;threadid=9922;start=0#msg89915 date=1098641610]
    Have you tried updating the bios, or reinstalling (forcing) the latest version on it?[/quote]
    I can't. It won't even go that far. It won't read CD or Floppy for me to install anything. I tried to install pure DOS 6.22 with floppy but no go.
    There is a linux boot disk that has a memory tester. Might want to give that a chance.
    Done that. SuSE 9.1 disk Novell sent me. I also tried with Debian disks that are press copies not burned. Both are know good disks since it all boot up fine on another box.
    Also, have you checked the jumper settings on the drives?
    Yeap, only one drive in the box and I made sure it comes up as Primary master when boot up. I switched another cable as well as the HDD to another box. All is good.

If I could just flash the BIOS, I'll be set. It need special device to update EPROM and I don't have it.

Is the only drive a cd-rom?

I have had a bad hard drive mess up bootup...

Good Guru

I tried with three different HDDs as well as with CDROM only.