Thread: Dual boot with Grub

Dual boot with Grub

I have Debian Sid as my main OS which is using Grub bootloader. I have different distros also setup to boot from within Debian's grub.

Now my problem is since I've installed Ubuntu I can't boot back into it anymore. I get an error message related to the initrd file.

If anybody else is dual booting with Ubuntu & grub, can you show me how your Ubuntu initrib is listed?

Thnx.

Re:Dual boot with Grub

AFAIK, the initrd file is just kind of a "memory" or swap file that holds certain drivers needed for bootup. If the message you are seeing says that it cannot find it, most likely th eproblem lies on your grub.conf, not listing the partitions correctly.

[quote author=trickster link=board=2;threadid=9894;start=0#msg89694 date=1097963622]
    AFAIK, the initrd file is just kind of a "memory" or swap file that holds certain drivers needed for bootup. If the message you are seeing says that it cannot find it, most likely th eproblem lies on your grub.conf, not listing the partitions correctly.

[/quote]

I thought initrd created a ramdisk, the opposite of swap, as it uses RAM as disk space.

When I try to boot into Ubuntu, I get error=15 or something like that, and it say, File Not Found, referring to the initrd file.

But it is a link to the /boot/initrd file. I'm at work now but can post it when I get home.

Thnx.