Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

How to switch from XDM to GDM ?

Thread: How to switch from XDM to GDM ?

Good Guru

How to switch from XDM to GDM ?

Okay, I've been trying this for two days and I'm at lost.

I used to have xdm managing my login screen. But I like the way ( eye candiness ) from gdm so I wanted to change it.

I modified the file, /etc/X11/default-display-manager. When I checked both gdm and xdm configs, it says that they confirm to default-display-manager file and the settings were all correct. xdm was in /usr/bin/X11/xdm and gdm was in /usr/bin/gdm .

When I booted up, it says gdm is not configured as default display manager and xdm is not configured as default display manager. Where is that setting should go in order to make gdm the default display manager? I've looked in startx, xinitrc file.

TIA

Distro is Debian Unstable.

Re:How to switch from XDM to GDM ?

hi compunuts - edit the file /etc/inittab to select gdm (it is whta i do, but before that that you may wish to configure gdm

Good Guru

Well, mine don't have anything in there I can change to make that happen. There is no mentioning of display manager setting area nor pointing to where the config should go.

The only place I could think of is follow "Boot-time System Configuration/Initialization script" area which points to /etc/init.d/rcS . Would changing Sxdm to Kxdm would do the trick? Gdm is already with S prefix. If I have to add the line, can you place post an example script?

Also, I've already configured gdm the way I wanted and already being tested. That was why I wanted gdm to manage display. Now that I have to start gdm manually to get it going. :-\

I have been looking for it for days on Google without success.

What is listed in this file, /etc/X11/default-display-manager?

Mine only has /usr/bin/gdm.

I noticed you did say you had modified the default-display-manager file. The only other thing I can think of is to remove xdm and kdm and it should make gdm default without problems.

Then run "dpkg-reconfigure gdm", hopefully it will take.

Good Guru

[quote author=Saptech link=board=6;threadid=9876;start=0#msg89607 date=1097770575]
    What is listed in this file, /etc/X11/default-display-manager?

Mine only has /usr/bin/gdm. [/quote]
    Well, here is mine.
    Code:
    # The following setting is to use xdm as default manager.
    # /usr/bin/X11/xdm

# This is to use gdm as default display manager.
    /usr/bin/gdm
    The only other thing I can think of is to remove xdm and kdm and it should make gdm default without problems.
    Yeah, I will try that too. But theroratically it shouldn't make a difference since the rest of them are commented out. But I will see if clearing it will make a difference.

Then run "dpkg-reconfigure gdm", hopefully it will take.
    Yeah, that's what I didn't do too so I will also try that.

Thanks.

Good Guru

Well, I've tested it 5 times to confirm it with differnet settings.

The problem is with /etc/X11/default-display-manager file. It is designed to read only one line of code.

Once I removed all and leave only gdm, the gdm brings up just fine. Even if I have newline code ( hence only entering line brake before gdm setting ), it won't start gdm ( or xdm for that matter ).

So yeah, all is cool now. Thanks guys.