Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Bit Torrent?!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bit Torrent?!

Bit Torrent?!

Can someone please explain it? I d/l'ed a BT .iso (unintentionally) and it was only a few 'k' big. How do I get the rest of it? What's the concept?
    Steve

I am assuming that you downloaded a .torrent file? Not a .iso file. If you are new to bittorrent you might try a program names Azureus. It is a java-based bittorrent client and it makes the whole process a snap.

Essentially, you get the .torrent file and it tells the bittorrent client what file to begin downloading and sharing. So as you download information you are also uploading at the same time to others. Now rather than everyone hammering an FTP server everyone is downloading from one another so the load is more balanced.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Ok, thanks. I downloaded on the Mac, so I'll look for a Mac BT client.
    Steve

Check it out at: http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

There's an OSX version too!
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jro
    Check it out at: http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

There's an OSX version too!
    Cool! Thanks jro :mrgreen: .
    Steve

I used it to d/l the 2 CD's of Mepis Linux. It was orders of magnitude faster to download both at the same time (about an hour) than downloading even one cd the conventional way (longer than overnight, if the mirror is being clobbered) :mrgreen: :w00t: .

I'm sold.
    Steve

Yeah, from what I have seen you either love or hate BitTorrent. Most of the time people hate it because they are behind some sort of firewall and either can't or don't know how to open a hole for BT. I _always_ use bittorrent when I can. I have never had a problem with it.

Did you end up using Azureus?
    jro -

Did you end up using Azureus?
    Yep... In MacOS X. No firewall problems, didn't have to read any documentation, worked like a charm . I'll have to try it in Windows and Linux next though.
    Steve

Well, I can testify that it works great in Linux. Using Java Runtime 1.4.2_05 right now. I will have to give it a try with 1.5 this weekend. 1.5 works like a dream with jEdit, it has definitely sped up. Let me know if you have any problems setting it up in Linux, I can help you out if you need.
    jro -

Well, I can testify that it works great in Linux. Using Java Runtime 1.4.2_05 right now. I will have to give it a try with 1.5 this weekend. 1.5 works like a dream with jEdit, it has definitely sped up. Let me know if you have any problems setting it up in Linux, I can help you out if you need.
    Appreciate it jro... Thanks :mrgreen: .
    Steve