Thread: XFree -> x.org

Mentor

XFree -> x.org

I just upgraded my SuSE 9.1 installation from XFree to x.org. I do not see any changes. What am I supposed to look for? I read something about transparent windows and stuff, but how do I get those to work (KDE 3.3)?

Re:XFree -> x.org

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=204593

This is a guide to installing xorg and getting transparency up and running. Skip to the section where you enable Compositing support in the xorg.conf file. Basically you'll have to add a line or two to xorg.conf and get your hands on xcompmgr (only in fdo cvs I believe). Also, if you use a nvidia driver, you'll have to add the line 'Option "RenderAccel" "True"' to your video card driver section of your xorg.conf file.

xcompmgr has come a long way since I used it in August. It's 90% stable for normal use now, and I can go days at a time without it crashing. When it does crash it usually dies gracefully, leaving me without shadows but still with a working computer. It still HATES OpenOffice (crashes pretty consistently when it's open), and it also can't stand me loading up my MP3 player. Other than that though it's really stable.

See xcompmgr --help for all the cool things you can do with it.

Mentor

Thanks, I got it working.

However, I did not like it. First, my desktop slowed down significantly. Then Konsole would not start at all, I got a bunch of error messages. So I went back and disabled all that stuff. This little eye candy is just not worth the hassle.

Transparency and shadows involve uncommenting two separate lines right? Did you guys find one being more stable than the other? I'm really looking forward to the shadows, I can't really see a "use" for transparency unless it only makes unselected windows transparent, which is pretty cool.

But I'll wait untill the new xorg reaches the stable branch in gentoo.

[quote author=cloverm link=board=6;threadid=9853;start=0#msg89361 date=1097162986]
    Thanks, I got it working.

However, I did not like it. First, my desktop slowed down significantly. Then Konsole would not start at all, I got a bunch of error messages. So I went back and disabled all that stuff. This little eye candy is just not worth the hassle.

[/quote]

Agreed. It also slowed down my desktop. GNOME by a lot but xfce4 by a little. I'm just sticking with regular 6.8.1.