Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Linux & Windows Boot process, Comparision ?

Thread: Linux & Windows Boot process, Comparision ?

Linux & Windows Boot process, Comparision ?

Hi, new here and new to the world of Linux.

What are the similarities and differences in boot processes of these two operating systems ?

Re:Linux & Windows Boot process, Comparision ?

[quote author=spooler link=board=12;threadid=9850;start=0#msg89348 date=1097139384]
    Hi, new here and new to the world of Linux.

What are the similarities and differences in boot processes of these two operating systems ?
    [/quote]
    Hi,

Can you rephrase your question as to be more specific?

Bot system load the kernel at bootup, , search for hardware, start network connections, etc. They use different applications and files for this.

I am not sure that answers your question, though.

I meant comparing both these Operating systems's boot processes. There might be something different that Linux does.

Like for example, linux uses init and Windows used NTLDR ? ???

I'd appreciate any links as well where they compare Windows & Linux boot processes.

Thanks for the reply.

Windows Boot Process

Linux Boot Process

I wnt to Google and typed Linux Windows boot process and received multiple interesting results. You might want to check that.

Thanks for the links trickster.

But I cant draw parallels between the boot processes of these two OSes.

Could you or anybody else just point out the similarities or difference in one line and maybe I could investigate on it further,

Appreciate your help.

Good Guru

They are two different OSes so you can't really parallel compare it. It will be like comparing apple and oranges or Sparc vs Intel. They are just different.

When computer start up, BIOS boot up first, then called on NTLDR to load kernel and then applications. Loading up GUI is a must.

BIOS called up either mbr program, LILO or GRUB in Linux. Then it loads kernel and then load up modules if you set up that way. Loading GUI is always optional in Linux.

A little better?

Yes ;D

Thanks for the brief explanation.